Logo

Running problems

Randy59

I have a 1987 MCM 205, 262 cid, I just got the boat last fall. Put it in the water ran GREAT for about 20 min then sputtered and died. Took it home 2 hrs later fired right up. Now this spring it starts hard first time, but after that starts right up and idles good but if you try to idle it up seems to run rough and boggs down. It will come back to a good idle then aft a few min acts like it wants to and will die. I have replaced the fuel pump & filters, new spark plugs, rebuilt the carb seems to be getting plenty of fuel. I am now looking at poss dist sensor, coil or ign amplifier which costs a cool $550.00. Any thoughts out there, Thanks
4.3 v6 engine, thunderbolt IV ign

Do you know the float level setting on the 4 barrel rochester quadrajet carb? #17084516 0847
Do you think lack of fuel or too much? mcm 205 3304-9354

Didn't run that long, but I could hold the choke open and didn't seem to make a difference. I did notice some fuel build up on the manifold like it was flooded. float did not seem to be fuel logged, maybe it is set too high. it measured 1/4 , papers w/kit did not have the setting said to refer to mcm manual, which i did not have. other floats for that that carb said 1/4 so I left it there. the d shaped rod that hold the float was installed going in from the lt to rt, manual shows it going in from rt to lt or pushed in from the side that the acc pump is on.

Back