Logo

1980 Ski Supreme PCM 351 all Std equipment Holly 4b Carb

Ernie15

When cold the engine starts and run great but after it at running temp and you stop or go to natural the engine will die when shafted back in to forward or reverse. If you get lucky and it take off it run good again until to stop and the same problem starts over. Carb has been rebuilt and shows to have no blockage. Any idle what this maybe. Help needed.

sounds like the carb wasnt set up, be it the choke, float level, mixture setting at idle. these boats are set up rich at ilde too.

sounds like the carb wasnt set up, be it the choke, float level, mixture setting at idle. these boats are set up rich at ilde too.

hey thanks i just keep checking all setting and find all appears to be ok and appears that there no change when i do change a setting at a time. Well time to keep looking thanks again if you wake up one night with a fix let me know.

how bout a vacuum leak, cold with the choke on it may still be rich enough but as it warms and the choke comes off the thing goes lean, what color are your plugs?

When cold the engine starts and run great but after it at running temp and you stop or go to natural the engine will die when shafted back in to forward or reverse. If you get lucky and it take off it run good again until to stop and the same problem starts over. Carb has been rebuilt and shows to have no blockage. Any idle what this maybe. Help needed.

I have a 1979 Ski Supreme with the same engine and I fought the carb for years...rebuilt twice, different cams, different jets...you name it I've done it. Finally I got fed up and bought a new holly marnie carburator. I contacted the Holley tech guys and finally ended up buying the 600 CFM Four Barrel Carburetor PART #: 0-80551. I really hated spending the money but I have to say that the boat never loads up, idles like a dream and jumps out of the water on a hole shot pulling skiers. I doubt you will want to spend the money but I can assure you it's money well spent.

Back