Logo

Suzuki DT90 1996. Stops in 15 seconds..

fjordland

New in this forum, from Norway so there will be some typing errors!

I have a 1996 Suzuki DT90.

It starts fine, idles good. But after 15 seconds it stops. It will start instantly after shutdown.

The alarm sounds every 5 second, and sounds for just about a second.

The TPS is new, ignition timing resistor is new, carbs rebuilt, fuelpump rebuilt,
water pump impeller is new. good compression.

If i disconnect the TPS it will run for hours, but as soon I connect the TPS it stops. Thats why I bought a new. But that didnt change anything.
mad.gif

When it runs with TPS disconnected the alarm still sounds as mentioned.

Do anyone have an idea? Is there anything I should check?

You want to set the TPS sensor at 275 ohms

From the green/black wire to the orange/yellow

Unplug it from harness

To set idle you need to warm motor up, turn the idle speed to the lowest setting, then you need to turn up the carb idle screw

You want 700 in gear and must maintain that for 3 minutes

Ok, a little confused.
So I unplug the TPS, find the position where it reads 275ohms. plug it back in and start?
Then what? as far as I can remember there is not very much to adjust on the TPS if it shall move from closed to WOT.

Could you tell me what to step by step?

Just set it at 275 ohms

Then get the motor to idle by adjusting carbs

If it still will not idle your going to need a test harness to look at voltage

Ok. Havnt checked this out yet.

BUT, if it runs good with the TPS fixed at 275 omhs.. what then? it will probably stop when i mount it back on to the carb?

Hmm..ok.
Dont think I follow. (sorry for bad english)
How can i adjust while on carb? as far as i can see, there is not many different ways to mount it to let it move freely from idle to WOT.
Its hard to explain, but i hope u understand...

Tried to set the TPS at 275 ohm`s. Same problem. If i diconnect the TPS it will run until i turn it off....

Just cant figure this out!!!

Seems like i have the "old" ignition timing switch. After 1991 it should be a ignition timing resistor, right?
Could this cause the problem?

As fare as i can see, there is a function that adjust the ignition timing the first 15 seconds after start up, after 15 sec it goes back to normal. Maybe there is something wrong with my "normal settings" due to the stop after 15 sec and the "high idle when start ignition function"?

Update.
Changed the CDI unit. still the same problem.
Tried to disconnect the gear\throttle unit and it suns fine?????
What can be wrong with this one?

The engine is previuos used with a top-mounted model with external alarm, powertrim, buzzer etc etc. I mounted a side-mounted type with the buzzer, alarm, etc included in the controlbox.

Any ideas?

Back