Logo

88 Force 125 Leaky Lower Unit

jerold

Regular Contributor
I have already replaced the water pump "plate" with the newer style shift rod seal. So it doesn't leak there. Where would be the next likely leak spot?

Also, the vent, fill, and drain screws.......One had a plastic washer, One had remains of the washer, and the other had no washer at all. Do you think a couple of those could be the culprit? Only about 3 hours run time since I changed the oil.....and the oil looks like this...........

Is there a way to flush out the unit, other than fill it with oil and drain it...?

Attachments

• muck.jpg
    muck.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Most leaks are from prop shaft then drive shaft rarely shift shaft impeller plate does not connect to oil
Little tougher to diagnose but some time if prop does not have a lot of carbon build up u can see gear oil crust kinda looks like oil build up but probley best to have it completely resealed instead of guessing which one leaking the seals come in a kit
No need to flush drain for few hrs add oil next change will not even see white unless it leaks

You can replace ALL the seals and still have a leaker.
One of mine started leaking,I thought maybe the drive shaft seal under the pump.
So I take it all apart and re-do the seal.Still leaking????
So I get the pressure tester out and tested it.
The seal around the front part of the shift shaft cover was leaking.
Took it apart and cleaned it,flipped the seal(didn't have a new one) put it back together.STILL leaking????
Took it apart again,resealed and used the copper colored sealer.Now NO leaks.

Moral of the story!! Pressure test or your gonna do something WRONG.I wasted a lot of time changing the seal.

Oh yea,that's a pretty bad leak.

Yep, taking it down to the shop for a pressure test. I did get new seals for the 3 drain screws. Will keep you posted...

I created my own pressure tester. Tested it, leaking out of the black squarish o-ring seal up near the shift shaft. I realize 15 lbs of pressure is enuf. I took it apart, cleaned it all, and put it back together. Leaked in the same place. Took it apart again, put a little rv sealant where the o-ring is. Doesn't leak there anymore. Also replaced the seals on the vent, fill, and drain screws. I'm testing with a bike pump so I can't tell if it is leaking down. Filled it up with oil, putting it back on. Gonna run it for a while on the water and see if it is still leaking. I have a feeling it is. If I need a re-seal kit, how hard is it to R N R the lower unit? Special tools? Rocket science? SHould I even worry about it if I change the oil more often?

101_0606.jpg101_0607.jpgleaky.jpgMy finger is pointing to where the leak was. Given the condition of this unit when I got it, (see "swapping powerhead 88 force 125") I can only assume the prop shaft seal is probably toast, but I will find out after I run it. I am confident that the top seals are ok now, I sprayed all of them with soap under pressure.

That's exactly where mine leaked.10# is all I use.
Your just pushing it out.
I use soapy water/windex etc. to find the leaks.Or stick it in a bucket(big bucket).
I use the copper sealer works great.Don't need too much.
You can overtighten the screws.Find the specs for tourqe???

If I need a re-seal kit, how hard is it to R N R the lower unit? Special tools? Rocket science? SHould I even worry about it if I change the oil more often?

I used it since i took the head off for some reason and can't remember why i took it off and didn't want to buy a new gasket so i used copper sealer to seal it up with

Back