Logo

Should Water pour out or spray out of your exuast?

Jfreeman1412

Regular Contributor
Hey guys I have one motor that when you get the boat going and the exhaust out of the water one pours out like you pour a glass of water out and one sprays out as if there is you where spraying it out of a kinked hose. Which should it be?

I did take the exhaust manifold riser off and cleaned it out on the engine that is spraying water out of the exhaust and cleaned out some rust that was in the side water jackets. I also cleaned the rust that was clogging up the tranny cooler as well. Still Sprays. If it is not suppose to spray where could my clog be? Thanks

That’s a tough question to answer because the appearance ofthe exhaust depends on other factors (RMP’s, engine/exhaust temp, boat speed,etc.). For example, if you’re at full operating temp and running at 4000 rpm ata decent clip, it will probably appear to be “spraying” (even though it may really be coming out in high volume). On the other hand, you could be idling in your driveway, on a hose, and it may look more like the glass-of-water scenario.

What’s more important than what you’re seeing at the hull is determining whether everything is flowing and operating as it should upstream…….starting with the pump and working your way through the whole cooling system.

It can be common to see an unequal flow of spent cooling water from the exhaust.
When this occurs, it's time to start checking the division of the spent sea water.
Some systems will use a T or Y splitter device (CCS), some split right at the T stat housing (raw water cooled).

With a closed cooling system, you'll see several means of dividing the spent sea water.... some via dual H/E outlets, some using the T or Y splitter fittings for a single outlet H/E.

It may not be at the "split" and may be within the exhaust system itself.... sea water hoses, exhaust couplers, clogged transfer ports, etc.

None-the-less, it's time to examine things, IMO.

There are two ports in the bottom of the water pump and two on the top. Where should I start looking? Hoses after the Manifolds? Here's what the top of the engine looks like. AWeb Engine.jpg

Or should I be looking at hoses after the the water pump? What are transfer ports? Sorry for the lack of knowledge and thank for the help.

Does your set up run a dual impeller pump? The bigger side cools the engine and exits the starboard side and the smaller side cools the trans and exits the port side. The flow from the port side is much less than the Starboard side.

Attachments

• 2012-06-08_07-29-19_171.jpg
    2012-06-08_07-29-19_171.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 68
I don't think I have a duel impeller pump, but i do have two ports on the top and the bottom. When we changed the impeller there was only one as I recall. Would this still be considered a dual impeller?

In the photo of your engine.....I'm sure it was probably taken during work-in-progress.....but I couldn't help but notice that you have no overflow line connected to the carb.

Thanks for the link....I think I remember a plate that we removed to remove the impeller. I don't think it came apart like the one in the link. I am not for sure, but i think it was just a plate. Is there another one?

pump.jpg
Here is the bottom side of my pump. But I don't think it has room for 2 impellers. When I went to the parts store they gave me on that fit. Does this pump take 2 impellers? When we bought as far as I could tell, they only had one impeller in them and we changed them last year.

Anyone have anything similar? This is a 1973 318LM Trojan F30. I think Trojanman has a very similar boat. Any one else know any thing about these?

Back