Logo

One Side of carb and Intake manifold runs hot 318 LM...

Jfreeman1412

Regular Contributor
Hey Guys,
I have one spot on one of my engines that seems to run hotter than the rest. Carb hot points.jpg
It is on the choke side of the carb and intake manifold. The upper arrow points to a bolt that always runs hot and the lower arrow points to part of the intake manifold i believe. I have found temps as high as 420 degrees there with a inferred heat gauge. Is there a water jacket in there that is clogged? It is only this side of the carb/corner of the carb that runs that hot? And ideas? Thanks.

The lower area you’re pointing out is the exhaust crossover. The bolt you're pointing to fastens the mechanical choke/plate. The mechanical choke, which opens and closes via a thermostat spring, is positioned at the exhaust crossover because it’s the first area to warm up on the manifold.
The 318 crossovers were, in fact, known for clogging but if you’re not experiencing any other issues and your temp readings elsewhere are good, I wouldn’t sweat it.

Is it the water jacket in the crossover that clogs or is there even a water jacket there? Or does the exhaust area clog? With this motor we are having issues where the water sprays out of the exhaust instead of poring out. Wondering if that has something to do with it? I have another post about it.

Back