Logo

torque on ujoint yoke nut reassembly of bravo one.

benton7

1992 bravo one mercruiser. Manual says to torque 6 to 10 lbs of load rolling torque, then make sure it still turns. Doesn't seem to be enough torque, even with a new lock nut. When the gimbal bearing has 100 lbs of torque on that gear. The last lock nut holding the gear on the drive shaft of the ujoint or yoke nut. Upper part of outdrive. Thanks in advance.

6-10 inch-lbs rolling torque what is called for.because the inner spacer was discontinued rolling torque is needed now vs just tightening the nut down

Make sure you apply RED locktite to the CLEAN threads before installing the nut.

This will guarentee the nut will stay in place.

6-10 inch lbs is for new bearings I believe,

I think the spec for used is much less than that???

Early, first cup of Java......could be wrong........

1992 bravo one mercruiser. Manual says to torque 6 to 10 lbs of load rolling torque, then make sure it still turns. Doesn't seem to be enough torque, even with a new lock nut. When the gimbal bearing has 100 lbs of torque on that gear. The last lock nut holding the gear on the drive shaft of the ujoint or yoke nut. Upper part of outdrive. Thanks in advance.

Yes, it says to leave out the seperator thats between the two bearings. So the bearings will still be in position after leaving out the seperator? And tighten the nut until there is 10 inch lbs of rolling torque. Seems there would be some kind of torque needed for that nut? Or does the 3 7/8 inch retainer nut tighen the whole deal up with its 200 lbs of torque? Thanks again for your help.

Never really understood Merc`as idea of removing the inner spacer to use the newer style gearsets.Personally I install it with the new style gearsets
using the inner spacer and torque the nut to 70ft/lbs. Suspect there bearing quality control may have suffered going to mexico and overseas.

Back