Logo

3.0 L Overheating issue

Jason Campbell

Ran the boat out on Lake Michigan yesterday and my temp got up to about 220 (idle or running at 3000 rpm). Ran it today on muffs for about 30 minutes and my temp never got about 150. Any ideas? The boat did start to sound a little different after it ran for about 5 minutes. Could that have been the thermostat opening up or possible I had a blockage and running on muffs cleared it out? Thanks in advance for the help.

Change the impeller...not enough water flow...the garden hose was taking the place of the impeller.

Thanks, I was starting to think that, but nice to have verified. This is my first boat and it's a pretty steep learning curve. Is it pretty easy to swap out? I don't mind doing the work. Do you by chance happen to have a procedure? Also, I want to make sure I get the right impeller. It's an 89 Alpha One 3.0 L Merc. Are they pretty standard or what? Thanks again for the help!

Thanks for the help, I just got it and my impeller was all tore up (see attached photo). Do you think I possibly did any damage to the motor? It seemed like it was running fine on muffs earlier.

547091_4320017038058_1044416001_n.jpg

If it ran fine on the muffs it will be fine. You need to make sure you have all of the impeller pieces before you reassemble it. While it is off back flush the water inlet hose from the thermostat housing w/a garden hose on full pressure. Just for PM purposes open up the thermostat housing and inspect it...I would replace it w/an OEM if it has been several years...cheap insurance in my book. Don't fix it if it ain't broke is not always valid. Fix minor things (replace wear items for preventative maintenance.) that cause major problems before they break.

Back