Logo

1975 omc 235 impeller

gfox333

I'm new to the boating world. Just purchased a 1975 Cobalt 235 omc. This boat has been sitting for a couple of years. Have already worked out a couple of issues,... trim motor selenoid..... tilt motor replacement. I've had the boat in the water on the trailer to test run the engine, and this 351 purrs, but, while sitting idling for approx. 5-10 minutes temp rose to 180 and was climbing quick. Question is, is there a sure way to determine if the impeller is working either in the water or in the driveway? There is a hose connection on the right side of the upper case. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Should be a peeing on the ball gears.
Or pull the long hose off the t-stat housing that comes in from the transom, start the engine while the drive is submerged fully down and see if you have good water to the t-stat.

When you refer to peeeing on the ball gears, your talking about with the hose connection, right? Does the outdrive need to be all the way down to see this?

Stringer drives like the one you have should never ever be run without the drive fully down and water going to the drive.
No there is a little pee hole near the starboard that shoots water onto the ball gears.
I submerge my drive to check the raw water pump.

By the way what manual are you working out of ?

I don't have a manual yet. The guy I bought the boat from is still searching. Knows he has one, but just can't find it. Probably end up ordering a factory one. So, there won't be water coming out the tell tale hole with the hose connection setup?

Back