Logo

Need step-by-step for 84 Evinrude E30ECRR fix.

pwskicat

Regular Contributor
Can anyone help with a step-by-step to replace upper water tube grommet and tube guide on my '84 Evinrude E30ECRR, ser #F0368410? I've been told powerhead has to come off. My SELOC manual offers NO disassembly/reassembly instructions or parts/tools required list for this fix. Many thanx for yr help, PW

Great advice, Kim! I'll check out the upper grommet. If it is intact, I'll try the Permatex before taking off powerhead. What are the steps to replace thermostat? The engine ran great before I did the waterpump rebuild and got hung up with this water tube thing, so I don't want to fix something than ain't broke. Many thanx for yr help, PW

Can anyone help with a step-by-step to replace upper water tube grommet and tube guide on my '84 Evinrude E30ECRR, ser #F0368410? I've been told powerhead has to come off. My SELOC manual offers NO disassembly/reassembly instructions or parts/tools required list for this fix. Many thanx for yr help, PW

Grommet and guide? If you have any concerns about them, lift the powerhead!

These two things are in such an awkward place it is best to bite the bullet and get it done after it is apart and in front of yor face.

There are tricks to replace these from below but you will never be sure after. Tricks are just tricks after all.

Do it right and many years with no problems after.
You will need a manual and a tricky spanner!

Got 'er done without lifting powerhead. Took Kim's advise and put the water tube back in place using some gasket sealer. I then used a coat hanger to lift the tube into alignment with the water pump housing and everything slid right back together. Changed the thermostat at the same time. A driveway test with "earmuffs" supplying the water produced a strong telltale, as did a 1/2 hour test run on the lake at slow, medium and WOT. Should be smooth motoring (knock on wood) from now on. Many thanks for all your help, PW

Back