Logo

Can't remove power head off 1987 40 HP Mariner. Please help.

Hi all. I need to remove the powerhead from my motor, and I can't get it to budge...not even a millimeter. Manual says to remove the cowling, spark plugs, starter, recoil starter assembly, carbs, fuel filter, magneto, CDI base, linkage rods, the 8 bolts and washers that secure the powerhead to the drive shaft housing, then lift the powerhead from the drive shaft housing. I removed all the listed, but the thing will not move. I took off the cylinder head cover and used the cylinder to put my hand to help me get a better grip and stood on a step for better leverage. Nothing. I even used a bar through the engine lift ring that is bolted onto the motor. Am I missing something? I saw no other bolts that were holding it down, and like I said, I am following the manual, but it won't move. Please help and thank you in advance. God loves you - Gene.

1987 MARINER SANSHIN 40 ELPTO Model Number 7040737

See if you can remove lower unit sometimes the drive shaft and block gets stuck sometimes
What are you lifting block with engine hoist??? Make sure the angle of your pull is straight up and down Romans5:8

Last edited:
Thank you both for your advice. I loosened the lower unit AND used the hammer/2x4 trick. kimcrwbr1, I really think that's what it needed! Thanks guys! Opti-man, praise God for Romans 5:8. God loves you-Gene

Back