Logo

Yamaha F60: Oil and gas additives?

N320AW

Last week I purchased a new boat (G3) with a F60 engine. Has about 3 hours on it now from new.

I want to take care of this engine and was wondering what particular oil and gas additives you guys would suggest on a regular basis?

Due to past experience, both in my airplane and car, I have always added a little Marvel Mystery Oil when I have the oil changed. I plan to add, at 20 hours, about 1/2 pint Marvel at the oil change. Opinions please as this is my first boat.

Other than Yamaha's fuel stabilizer to the fuel . . . anything else I should know for good reliability?

Thanks

Once it is broken in, use synthetic oil. They are more durable than natural, and more expensive. Use Ring Free from Yamaha to help keep buildup down. Only use fresh fuel. I know additives all talk the good talk, but fuel will always lose it's octane rating when it sits, no matter how much additive you put in it.

What does your experience tell you about Marvel Mystery Oil? I have always just used it to pickle engines that have gone underwater, because it is less viscous than engine oil

An old friend used Marvel in his J-4 Cub Coupe for decades and swore by it. His engine (Continental 4 Cyl 65 HP) never had to be overhauled. Many years later I started adding about 20% with every oil change on my Jeep CJ7. One time the head gasket began to leak and I had it replaced with a much thicker one. On picking up the car the mechanic stated when he removed the valve cover he had never seen such a clean area. No sludge, etc.

Marvel has been around for decades and has an excellent reputation. I do not believe in most of the junk on the market, but I do when it comes to this stuff.

Take extra care to filter your fuel for water and trash 10 micron fuel water seperator.If you have an external tank dump it often.

Back