Logo

changing tranny fluid on pv300

buick430

Regular Contributor
Hey guys, wanting to change the tranny fluid on my pv300's before I take her off shore. What is the best method? and what do you guys reccomend putting back in to keep it going forever??

thanks, will

Paragon v-drives?

I use Valvoline Max Life Dex/Merc.

I spoke to a tech at Great Lakes Power (Paragon Marine) last year. He said DO NOT use a fluid that specific to Ford only. Any Dex/Merc or Multi Merc is fine.

-JJ

Paragon v-drives?

I use Valvoline Max Life Dex/Merc.

I spoke to a tech at Great Lakes Power (Paragon Marine) last year. He said DO NOT use a fluid that specific to Ford only. Any Dex/Merc or Multi Merc is fine.

-JJ
Merc= Mercon a ford fluid! Type F is a pre 1980 Ford, Mazda, Saab, Toyota, Volvo , Land Rover, Jaguar, Toyota, Diahatsu, John Deere ATF

Again, the tech said any Dex/Merc or Multi Merc is fine. But no fluids specific to ONLY Ford (i.e straight Mercon type fluids).

-JJ

Here is an excerpt from Mobil's website regarding Type F fluid:

"The frictional characteristics of an automatic transmission fluid are an important factor in the design and operation of the transmission. All Ford Motor Company transmissions built prior to 1977, and certain models that continued in use during 1977-1980, were designed for a high-friction fluid that allowed the shifting clutches to lock up or engage quickly. Ford specification ESW-M2C33-F covers this type of product, which is commonly referred to as "Type F" fluid. Mobil ATF Type F is the appropriate product for these units.
Mobil ATF Type F is not recommended for automatic transmissions in Ford, General Motors, Chrysler, American Motors, or any other cars requiring a Dexron-II, Dexron-IIE, Dexron-III or Mercon-approved fluid, or for those Ford products requiring an M2C138CJ (Type CJ) fluid or an M2C166H (Type H) fluid. For the above applications, Mobil ATF D/M (Dexron/Mercon) or Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF are recommended."

Considering the above statements, and my conversation with the service tech, I would not use Type F in my Paragon V drive.

-JJ

There's also a drain plug on port side of the transfer case. It's located at just about the lowest point. You'll get barely half a quart out of it.

-JJ

That's scary! More muscles get pulled when one is trapped and panics (which, of course, you did not).

Jeff

Back