Logo

Proper prop for my 50 hp johnson

PeterW

I have a 1989 50 hp outbourd johnson what is the right size prop for my motor and what is the pitch on the prop. if i install a oversized prop will that make my boat go faster? OH! and its on a 17 ft fiberglas rinker ,using for tubing and sporting thanks peeps look forward to ur help and guidence

Last edited:
I probably need to refrase my question. Any recomendations on what size prop would be proper for a 1988 not 1989 50 hp outboard johnson .Model #j50belccs .Its on a 17 ft Rinker fiberglass hull used generally for fishing on the beautiful lakes of Rangeley Maine,with lots of tubing for my family of 7! Im very new to the boating sport ,the prop i have on it now is scuffed up along the cutting edges and could deffi nately be due for a replacement.also what is the average cost of the prop you suggest I purchase ? ................. Thanks for ur help I look forward to this forum and all ur input. from beautiful Maine I ask !

are you running stainless or aluminum?are you getting good performance out of the prop you are running?if so take it in and let the dealer look at it and match it....i would guess you are running a 15....stainless will run you 250 plus probably....i would reclutch and keep the one you have as a spare...aluminum is cheaper and will be ok in lakes etc where you will not be hitting the occasional log etc...

try to buy the prob from a seller that will take the prop back and give you another size if it doesnt perform for you....or re size it...

Back