Logo

exciter coil voltage and cd output voltage

nissansundancer

hello all, i recently troubleshoot my NS90A Nissan 90 hp and think i have narrowed it down to the cd unit. I have good compression but no spark at the plugs. I was told my recifier was bad and if i replace it that will fix the problem.....not.....the rectifier has nothing to do with ignition! I am convinced my rectifier is bad since i reversed polarity at my battery by mistake but my engine should still start. So....I narrowed my problem down to the fuse, ignition switch, exciter coil, ignition coil and cd being the main problems. I did a voltage check coming out of the exciter while cranking and got 105v dva. So...i know i got juice going into my cd unit but am getting nothing on any leads coming out going into my ignition coils thus producing spark at the plugs. problem is the cd unit right??? any thoughts?

i guess i should add that the fuse and ignition both check out sincethe motor turns...unless i am missing something in that ignition switch. also kill switch has been bypassed.

The Factory way to test ignition components (and the rectifier for that matter) is with a good analog ohm meter. Full specs are in the Factory service manual. For the CD, it's a sizeable grid, too large to post, and anyway, the manual is copyrighted, so it's not online.

If you are getting over 100v DVA into the CD, and Zero out, and are sure the brown kill wire is NOT grounded (you said "Bypassed"; did you disconnect it?), then the CD is probably defective.

Back