Logo

1986 DT40 stalls with WOT

Keith Martin

I just got a 1986 DT40 from my father in law. He had it in Florida since he bought it new. Bring it up here to NC and run it in a lake and the motor starts to stall out in Wide Open Throttle. I have ordered a manual for it and am waiting, but want to get a heads up for what to look at. Checked and changed to fresh gas. Oil level is fine (smokes a little), plugs are okay but will replace soon. When I run it at half throttle it runs great but as soon as I try to throttle up is sounds like it is starving for gas. I have checked the fuel filter/strainer and emptied it out. Even put some seafoam in the strainer and then pumped it back with fuel. I have made sure it has Ethenol free gas in it. But still runs poorly! Any ideas would be appreciated. I am new to boating and want to take good care of this engine.

I just got a 1986 DT40 from my father in law. He had it in Florida since he bought it new. Bring it up here to NC and run it in a lake and the motor starts to stall out in Wide Open Throttle. I have ordered a manual for it and am waiting, but want to get a heads up for what to look at. Checked and changed to fresh gas. Oil level is fine (smokes a little), plugs are okay but will replace soon. When I run it at half throttle it runs great but as soon as I try to throttle up is sounds like it is starving for gas. I have checked the fuel filter/strainer and emptied it out. Even put some seafoam in the strainer and then pumped it back with fuel. I have made sure it has Ethenol free gas in it. But still runs poorly! Any ideas would be appreciated. I am new to boating and want to take good care of this engine.

Hi. I know this is an old case, but i was wondering if you found the problem with your DT40?
I have the same problem with my DT40 1989.

Thanks

Just to update and answer your question Pedersen. I discovered the problem was simply crappy gas.
My father in law brought a gallon of ethenol free gas and said try this. I ran it with the new gas after draining the entire fuel system and it was super!
I run nothing but ethenol free gas and it runs like it is new. I NEVER let the gas get more than a week old and I add some seafoam just for good measure.
Been doing this for the last 4 years and have not had any problems from the fuel system. Hope this helps. If i can answer any other questions let me know.

Hi Keith
Thanks for your quick answer. I have fresh gasoline so i think my problem is the ignition that fails in high rpm. But it was worth a try. Have a nice weekend.

Back