Logo

Omc king cobra cone clutch drive cable adjustment procedure

msudomier

I removed my drive and replaced my gimble and u joints, bellows etc. I was wondering if anyone knows the property shift cable adjustment proceedures for this boat. I am having a problem getting the boat to shift properly into reverse, manually it will do it but I would like to adjust it so its proper. Any help would be greatly appreciated, any diagrams or copies of the pages from the manual for the adjustment of this cable would also be appreciated.
[email protected]

I do not work on the OMC King Cobra drives, but the cone clutch is Volvo Penta's design, of which I am extremely familiar with.

The KC CC will not use the ESA, so I believe that you'll have one shift cable ONLY.
The goal is to center the sliding sleeve equally between the two driven gear cups when in absolute "Neutral".
Begin with this, and adjust all else from here as to "neutral".

I've marked this image to show you the sliding sleeve and gear cups.

Attachments

• OMC KC CC cut view.jpg
    OMC KC CC cut view.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,014
Thank you I appreciate the feedback on this,
Do you know the proceedure for this? can this be accessed from the port side of the drive ?

Thank you

Michael.

Like said, I do not work on these, but I am very familiar with the cone clutch and it's adjustment.

See Stuart Hastings web site.
Stuart may explain his procedure for this adjustment.... I don't know.

NOTE: this would be for the King Cobra Cone Clutch drive, not the KC Dog Clutch drive.

With most any cable control whereby there are two positions plus a neutral, the primary goal is to achieve absolute neutral, and work from there. Farm equipment, marine, garden tractor.... it's all pretty much the same.

Any over-travel should be divided equally, but again favoring the neutral position at both the selector and the throttle/shift unit.

The shift mechanism eccentric piston will be detent oriented, meaning that neutral will be when the piston sits at rest in the neutral detent.

I would begin there, and adjust the cable barrel fittings to just slide easily into position at both the eccentric piston and the shift unit.

Key point to note also, will be that any single lever Throttle/Shift unit is in harmony with itself, in that a full shift is achieved prior to any throttle operation. The single lever throttle/shift unit must be working correctly.... period!

Now make a full shift into FWD.
Remove the barrel fitting, and check for over-travel.
(this is at the drive, not the shift unit)

Now make a full shift into REV.
Remove the barrel fitting, and again check for over-travel.

Divide any over-travel (past full FWD or REV engagement) equally.

Now go back to neutral, again remove the barrel fitting, and see if it gently fits back into the gear selector arm.

With a single lever control, you should see full gear engagement prior to any throttle operation.

Back