Logo

2000 Chaparral 196 SSI w/ Mercruiser Alpha 1 220hp V8 partially submerged

Johnsmh2

Hi everyone,

First time post. On Saturday mother nature took an unexpected turn for the worst and salt water continued to come over the bow. It was coming over faster than my 2000 Chaparral 196ssi could pump it out. The ski compartment on the deck was completely filled. We lifted the engine hatch and the water was filled to the bottom of the batteries (above the alternator but below the carburator). I could not go any faster than idle speed (if I tried to give it some gas I could tell the engine wasn't responding like it should, possibly because we had a boat full of passengers as well as several hundred pounds of water).

Once we made it to calmer waters we were able to pump all the water out and head home. At one point the engine did stall. I tried to restart it but it wouldn't turn over until I switched to the other battery. At that point it fired up first try. Over the course of that hour and a half of moving at idle speed that was the only time the engine stopped running, and it stopped for only a minute until I switched batteries.

During the offseason I had a new alternator put in and had the carb rebuilt. I would rather not do anything to these unless you all feel it's necessary. Any suggestions on what to do? Again, my engine was partially submerged, not completely. My friend recommeded I do the following:

• Take off outdrive and clean out any water before the bearings corrode
  • New starter
  • Bigger bilge pumb
  • Spray down engine and compartment thoroughly
  • Check engine oil for possible water
  • Pull spark plugs and check for water (he thinks since the engine continued to run I should be ok here)

Suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

That is a good start. Merc. makes a spray solution to spray on the exterior engine parts to stop corrosion. A pair of 1,000 gal. per min. pumps...1 on an auto switch and 1 on a manual switch. Take the starter off and take it to a starter rebuild shop to have them go over it.

replace the water soaked alternator.
A 19 footer with a load of passengers taking water over the bow. Needs a bit more explaining. Like how many people, where this happened, sea conditions, YOUR LEVEL OF EXPERIANCE.

I'm just glad to see you made it back to shore with your passengers safely! I agree with guyjg about the pumps. I would do all the other things you mentioned but I think maybe your pumps are not adequate. Now, getting swamped is a different story, all the pumps in the world aren't going to help if you are out in nasty water in an open bow boat with a heavy load of passengers, gear,fuel,etc. But, pumps definitely help. Can't be too careful! Conditions change quickly out there and I guess you witnessed it first hand. I own an 18 foot closed bow. Not as much room up front but feel safer when fighting an oncoming wind and sea. be careful, Tom

Thank you to everyone who responded to this post. I'm glad we did make it out safe.

Last night I took off the lower unit, sure enough there was a little water sitting in there. Cleaned that up and put it back on. After sitting for a few days my starter did seize up. I banged on the starter until I was able to fire the boat up. At that point I tested the alternator and saw that it was bad as well. Checked the engine oil for water and that was clean. So the verdict is:

New Bilge
New Starter
New Alternator

Should be ready to go for this weekend.

Back