Logo

1996 Johnson 115hp Tilt/Trim problem isolated, now what???? Help!

MustangBo

05282012 178.JPG05282012 179.JPG
Hi,
I have a '96 Johnson 115hp v4 - great engine. Tilt/trim recently started acting funny - it would go up and not down. Troubleshooting reveals the fault lies somewhere between the "out" relay (out to Trim motor) and the 1st connector in the wiring from the relay box. I ran a couple wires from connector end to other connector end, and then reversed them. I found that when I reversed them, the green wire connection works between connectors, but the blue wire connection does not.

I also swiched relays to see if that would give me any indication of the problem but switching relays continues the same problem (tilt goes up, not down) and does not reverse.

See photos. The 1st photo shows the connector that is disconnected. The second picture is of the top portion of the connector, next to its wires going coming out of the relay.

My question is - is this normally a bad wire issue or do I have to replace the relay? The whole relay box? I feel like I have looked at this too long and the answer is right in front of me but I cant see it!
Thanks!

I reversed the relays again and this time it blew the ignition fuse!

View attachment 4596View attachment 4597
Hi,
I have a '96 Johnson 115hp v4 - great engine. Tilt/trim recently started acting funny - it would go up and not down. Troubleshooting reveals the fault lies somewhere between the "out" relay (out to Trim motor) and the 1st connector in the wiring from the relay box. I ran a couple wires from connector end to other connector end, and then reversed them. I found that when I reversed them, the green wire connection works between connectors, but the blue wire connection does not.

I also swiched relays to see if that would give me any indication of the problem but switching relays continues the same problem (tilt goes up, not down) and does not reverse.

See photos. The 1st photo shows the connector that is disconnected. The second picture is of the top portion of the connector, next to its wires going coming out of the relay.

My question is - is this normally a bad wire issue or do I have to replace the relay? The whole relay box? I feel like I have looked at this too long and the answer is right in front of me but I cant see it!
Thanks!

I have the same problem of trim working up but not down. MustangBo...What did you do to resolve this issue? Thank you.

Back