Logo

2000 50hp johnson oil injection bypass

boerne14

Hello all, i just bought a 17ft logic with a 2000 50hp johnson. The motor is a 2 stroke injection. My question is does anyone know how to bypass the oil injection and just run premixed fuel. I would like to remove the oil pump from the motor and also remove the oil reservoir. My goal is to do so in a way the will allow me to bypass the low oil alarm and remove everything from the motor in a way that makes it looks clean and stock. I didnt know if anyonone knew of a kit that could be bought or just simply how to do it. Any ideas or tips will be greatly appreciated, thanks Matt!

You can use the VRO as a fuel pump only.-----------Plug the oil line near the pump and disconnect the wires.-------------The other way is to install a pump from say an 83 model motor or from a 48 special model ( no oil injection from the factory ) , The spot to mount those pumps should be on the block.

(VRO Changeover Judgement Call)
(J. Reeves)

The VROs first came out in 1984 and have been upgraded quite a few times. In my opinion, back around 1988, they had perfected them but I think that they were upgraded even more since then. As long as the warning system is operating as it should, I feel quite at ease with them.

Some boaters have voiced their thoughts such as "What if that overpriced plastic horn should fail while I'm under way for some reason, and the VRO decides to fail five minutes later?" Obviously that would result in a big problem which really brings their fears into view.

The word "ease" is the key word though. If one has the slightest feeling of being ill at ease with that setup, then they should take the route they feel more at ease with. A judgement call each individual would need to make on their own.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at
:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)
(J. Reeves)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup (and fuel restriction warning if so equipped) by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quantity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine.

Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at
:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

I just bought a J50PLSSM (2000 model year for the SS) and I was told it does not have an oil injector. Did Johnson make one 50 hp with and a 50 hp without? If it has one I can't find it. Please someone clarify the issue. Thanks,

They marketed a " 48 special " and it did not have oil injection.--------What does the fuel pump look like ?------- Do you have a seperate oil tank ?---How many hoses are attached to the fuel pump on the motor ?

A VRO or OMS pump system is a very simple and good pump. Why remove this great and easy system? Just check the oil pump piston cylinder for leakage, this could be easy done and once checked you can really thrust the system and enjoy the convinience of this oil injection system the way Evinrude/Johnson designed it!

The oil pump is made of a piston and 2 checkvalves, so far so easy. The piston travels and pull oil from the oiltank and push into the fuel, so far so easy, very simple and reliable. The piston is attached to the shaft that also pump fuel from the tank into the carb's. So once fuel is pumped, oil is also pumped.

The trouble I find on some VRO/OMS pump, is also the point at which OMC enhanced the pump during the years. The oil piston is working in a cylinder. This cylinder is made of some kind if steel. It is pressed in the plastic pumphousing. This joint between the plastic and the cylinder can cause a leakage. In case of a leakage, the oil pump is pulling fuel from the fuel chamber instead of oil from the oiltank. That will give less lubricant to the engine which is dangerous for the engine.

The reason for a leakage is alcohol and heat. I found that 60/70 hp engines have more trouble because the distance to the powerhead is very short. V models have almost never trouble because the larger distance to the powerhead, 40/50 models are some in between.

Just check this once in 3 years and you have a reliable oil injection system that you can really thrust on and enjoy the convinience of the oil injection. Enjoy trouble free boating!

I just bought a J50PLSSM (2000 model year for the SS) and I was told it does not have an oil injector. Did Johnson make one 50 hp with and a 50 hp without? If it has one I can't find it. Please someone clarify the issue. Thanks,

When I got the motor to the mechanic who will switch out my newer motor for the older one, advises that it does have the VRO but the tank has been removed and the oil line plugged. I am assuming the control wires have also been removed. Bottom line, I mix my own fuel which I wanted to do anyway, that way I know it is there. Thanks for everyone's help.

With my 2000 50hp, what do i need to look for in terms of a leaking VR02. My system check guage works perfect as per factory specs. But i still worry that there are leaks in the pump and the pump its self isnt pulling that excat 50:1 ratio it needs. Is there a way i can test the VR02

Back