Logo

Electric Choke Carter AFB

JJDebeers

Regular Contributor
Has anyone installed the Edlebrock electric choke kit on a Carter AFB? Does it contain everything needed, or do you need to retain some of the original Carter choke components?

A friend at the marina gave me 2 Carters and I'm having them completely rebuilt, but they're missing all of the components on the choke side (choke housing, choke lever, etc...).

I'm wondering if the Edlebrock kit will come with all of the necessary components.

Thanks,
JJ

how old are the Carters..??..put the money towards a pair of new Edelbrocks, that come with the chokes already fitted

For the most part, i agree with pete. But I have carters with all choke assemblies removed, they start and run great with just a couple pumps of the throttle. I am in beautiful southern Cal though.....

will

Here's a link to an article that describes how to fit the Edelbrock electric choke kit to an automotive AFB carb.

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/md/html/electric_choke_conversion.php

To make sure that this will work for your particular Carter carbs, I'd suggest calling the Edelbrock Tech Line - 800-416-8628. There is a wait to get a tech but once you get one, you'll find that they really know a lot about carbs, marine or automotive. You'll need to have the model number of your Carter AFBs.

Bill

Thanks Bill,

I've seen that article, and I'm feeling confident that will be an easy conversion. I figured that there would be someone on here that's done it already, but I guess not.

I called the Edelbrock line last week and waited about 15 minutes on hold. I couldn't take it anymore. I think it's time they hire some more techs.

-JJ

JJ

No apologies for the Edelbrock Tech Line. I also waited a while but when I finally got someone, the service was excellent. As long as you get those electric chokes working...

Bill

When you had them on the line, I hope you ZAPPED them on not having their carb bodiers set up for a PCV valve circuit (so one doesn't have to drill holes in their brand new $$$ carbs!) It's inexcusable, seeing the street versions of the SAME carb has TWO ports (for power brakes and etc.).

Wake up, Edelbrock!

Jeff

Electric choke housings seem to fit perfectly. However, I need the original Carter choke housing linkages and rods to connect to the choke butterfly linkage. If anyone has any of these Carter parts they're willing to sell, please let me know.

Thanks,

JJ

Would you need the piece that was hooked to the old spring loaded thermo-choke thingy:)*that screwed down to the intake crossover passage majiggy?

I got 2 full carbs that dont have that piece,much longer and different bends

hold on, let me check the blue bucket................this is what i got

Attachments

• IMG01071.jpg
    IMG01071.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG01070.jpg
    IMG01070.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 75
The choke is on the opposite side of the carb. The picture you show is the fast idle linkage.

Thanks for checking it out! Looks like my next project is fabricating a custom linkage.

-JJ

Back