Logo

Merc 115Hp will turn over but not start. Help!

jhlowrider

I have a 1993 Mercury 115 HP, 4 Cyl, 2 stroke. Went to the lake the other day, unloaded it, started it up, boated to fishing spot, fished for an hour, went to move to another spot. Boat wouldn't start! Motor turns over easily, but won't start. Check for fuel, got it. Check for Spark, don't got it. Check the kill switch, it's good and in place. Where do I look next??????

Your going to have to get yourself a wiring diagram. Possible causes, bad ignition module, bad coil, poor ignition wires or bad ignition trigger. Do you have an multimeter and now how to use it?

It can be difficult to check for spark in broad daylight.----------Try again in the evening or out of the sun with a proper spark checker.

Yes I have a multimeter and know how to use it. I think the wiring diagram is on the bottom side of the deck lid. I have looked for broken wires, loose connections. I have even replaced ignition module. Still nothing. I just don't know what to check for with the meter.
I will check for spark with a spark checker tonight.

If the resut is no spark you can test the ignition trigger at the modue connector. will prodce an AC voltage while cranking. Test the primary wires on the coils using a test light One will have power and the other will fash when the engine is cranked. Report back.

If the resut is no spark you can test the ignition trigger at the modue connector. will prodce an AC voltage while cranking. Test the primary wires on the coils using a test light One will have power and the other will fash when the engine is cranked. Report back.

Hey Ruggybuggy,
I notice my starter drive stays engaged in the flywheel, even with the key off. It's loose, but it won't come down away from the flywheel. Does this mean anything?

Hey please tell me what your issue was I have the same exact motor and the same exact thing happened was it the stator?

I have the same exact motor with your same story on how it wouldnt start back what was your issue thanks in advance!!

Since you are having starter problems, maybe your problem is starter-battery related. You have to spin the engine fast enough for the magnets passing the trigger and CD circuits pickup coils to produce adequate voltage to function. Failing starter and or bad batttery, (internal or low charge) can prevent this as can corrosion in cabling connections.

Your comment about Bendix hanging up is not suppose to happen. Bendix spring should return it back against the starter when power is removed from the starter. Could be just needing lube, or bad/binding Bendix, teeth not smooth, or soft Bendix return spring.

You said you checked the kill switch, did you check for voltage on both sides of the switch and not just that the wires look connected? While your at it check that the ignition switch is hot on the run wire as start is separate from running. While they should work together during start that doesn't mean they are both really there.

Texasmark, had you noticed that we are replying to a post from 2012? 926, you need to start a new thread so we can start fresh on your problem.

Back