MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Mercury / Mariner outboard. Online Manuals
MercuryMariner
Order printed Mercury / Mariner service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
MercuryMariner
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Mercury / Mariner engine. Engine Diagrams
MercuryMariner
Find parts quickly with Mercury application guides. Quick Parts Guide
MercurySierraCDI

Default Merc 115Hp will turn over but not start. Help!

I have a 1993 Mercury 115 HP, 4 Cyl, 2 stroke. Went to the lake the other day, unloaded it, started it up, boated to fishing spot, fished for an hour, went to move to another spot. Boat wouldn't start! Motor turns over easily, but won't start. Check for fuel, got it. Check for Spark, don't got it. Check the kill switch, it's good and in place. Where do I look next??????

Default Re: Merc 115Hp will turn over but not start. Help!

Your going to have to get yourself a wiring diagram. Possible causes, bad ignition module, bad coil, poor ignition wires or bad ignition trigger. Do you have an multimeter and now how to use it?

It can be difficult to check for spark in broad daylight.----------Try again in the evening or out of the sun with a proper spark checker.

Yes I have a multimeter and know how to use it. I think the wiring diagram is on the bottom side of the deck lid. I have looked for broken wires, loose connections. I have even replaced ignition module. Still nothing. I just don't know what to check for with the meter.
    I will check for spark with a spark checker tonight.

If the resut is no spark you can test the ignition trigger at the modue connector. will prodce an AC voltage while cranking. Test the primary wires on the coils using a test light One will have power and the other will fash when the engine is cranked. Report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
    If the resut is no spark you can test the ignition trigger at the modue connector. will prodce an AC voltage while cranking. Test the primary wires on the coils using a test light One will have power and the other will fash when the engine is cranked. Report back.
    Hey Ruggybuggy,
    I notice my starter drive stays engaged in the flywheel, even with the key off. It's loose, but it won't come down away from the flywheel. Does this mean anything?

Stator, trigger or switch box will leave no spark on all cyl. coil plugs and wire don't all go out at same time