Logo

mercruiser alpha 1 problem

donm9829

put a new water pump the stern drive. the manual is not clear on how to set shift linkage when reinstalling. now I have a hell of a rattle in the stern drive unit. anybody know what I did wrong or how to solve the problem ?

1985. behind a 120 chevy 4cly. At first we apparently had the shift linkage tube set wrong and it wouldn't come out of drive. so we took the lower unit back off,reset it like a friend told us and it went back on , but now I think it's not working the shifter at all like maybe it came loose in the upper unit. My guess anyway. Haven't taken it back down yet because I'm lost until I have better info than the book is giving.

Drop the lower again. Put the shifter into fwd gear at the helm. Shift the lower into FWD gear (rotate the shift shaft clock wise while turning the propeller counter clock wise) and hold it there by putting Counter clock wise pressure on the propeller.

Make sure the shift foot in the upper is in line with the engine (Front to back) and reinstall the lower.

this is apparently a generation 1 model . it doesn't have a shift foot according to my son. We think the shift tube has dropped off something it attaches to in the upper section.

Back