Logo

Water Pump Indicator Tube Problem

Flower Lady

Motor.jpg

Facts: Johnson 1988 28 hp

No water coming out of water pump indicator tube (pee hole as some call it :rolleyes:)

Took top off and found tube was not connected to motor-just laying loose inside the compartment (see above picture-for
picture I put it outside of bottom of motor so you could see it--you can barely see the tip of the other end of the tube
coming out of the bottom right side of the motor)

Hunted all over that motor to reattach it and could not find anywhere it could go.

Does anyone have any idea where this tube attaches to the motor? I hate to buy a repair manual ($$$$) and not know for sure if it will be of any help......by the way, I inherited this motor in 2008 and it has worked great with no problems, but after reading up on this forum about replacing water pumps (which we have never done), we are going to do that this weekend.

Start the motor up.----Unless the fitting was removed and the hole plugged , you will quickly discover where it goes.

Forgot to mention, but we tried that.........no water came from anywhere. Could it be that water might not be coming out of the motor when we started it because it may need a new water pump? Also, there is a water pressure gauge on the boat and when the boat was idleing, it read 5-7psi. Could it be that the gauge is used, instead to of the tube, to verify the water pump is working? The motor is on a pontoon boat, and you can't just turn around and look at the tube to see if it's working. You would have to get up, walk to the back of the boat, and look down over the ledge to check if the water was coming out the tube. Could this be a reason the hole might be plugged? a gauge would be more convenient? The pontoon boat and motor were bought new and came together.

With this new information which was not included in your first post , I would say that someone installed a gauge using the hole where the indicator tube goes.-----------It would be beside the cylinder head top left of the motor.

Back