Logo

steel wool?

bcclew

Regular Contributor
i know sanding then compound. but some times its hard to get the sand paper in some spots im wondering about seel wool that should clean and kind of act like sanding? just a thought get some imput
thanks

Not too sure what you are working on bcclew, but you might try lightly using a 3M pad. If you use wool on a boat, make it bronze wool, it won't embed the orange rust color later on when the particles rust.

Yep - the 3M pads are the way to go. Haven't used steel wool since I discovered the 3M pads and they work great on fiberglas and even gelcoat.

I once used a 3M pad to remove decal sticker residue :eek:. It easily removed the residue but also put fine scratches into the gel coat that I had to remove with high grit sand paper followed by compound. I could not remove the 3M pad scratches with rubbing compound alone (at least it was taking longer than I was willing to rub). I learned two things from this: 1 - use rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth to remove sticker residue (I know, duh, I was an idiot for grabbing the Brillo pad). 2 - a 3M pad is pretty much just like sand paper on gel coat at a more aggressive grit than 1000. The 3m pad does allow getting into tight corners because it is stiffl but the scratches in those tight corners will be hard to remove with higher grit paper and compound.

Just my $0.02

I have same problem with my boat, i had recently purchase it from local market and just after two days it doing problem.
Can i take it back to the previous own or prepare it my self?

I have same problem with my boat, i had recently purchase it from local market and just after two days it doing problem.
Can i take it back to the previous own or prepare it my self?

If by "market" you mean "dealer", taking it back will depend on what the problem is. If it is scratches you put in the gel coat, then you are are your own and will have to fix the scratches your self or take them to a repair place and pay to have them fixed. If it is some defect in the gel coat and there is still warranty then the deal should get it fixed for you. If you bought a used boat from a private person, then you are on your own as private sales are generally "as is".

If your going to own a boat, you have three choices, either get comfortable fixing dings and scratches yourself, be happy paying to have it done, or just live with the scratches and dings.

Back