MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Thread: steel wool?

Default steel wool?

i know sanding then compound. but some times its hard to get the sand paper in some spots im wondering about seel wool that should clean and kind of act like sanding? just a thought get some imput
    thanks

Default Re: steel wool?

Not too sure what you are working on bcclew, but you might try lightly using a 3M pad. If you use wool on a boat, make it bronze wool, it won't embed the orange rust color later on when the particles rust.
    Cheers,
    Rev Bob

"if it's gonna happen, it'll happen out there!"

My Dad always said; "Everything on your boat is either broken or about to be.......and you just don't know about it yet".

Yep - the 3M pads are the way to go. Haven't used steel wool since I discovered the 3M pads and they work great on fiberglas and even gelcoat.
    CHawk 25 DLX

yes,you are right 3M pads work good in fiberglass and gel-coat try this bccrew.
    thx
    http://www.boatzez.com/

I once used a 3M pad to remove decal sticker residue . It easily removed the residue but also put fine scratches into the gel coat that I had to remove with high grit sand paper followed by compound. I could not remove the 3M pad scratches with rubbing compound alone (at least it was taking longer than I was willing to rub). I learned two things from this: 1 - use rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth to remove sticker residue (I know, duh, I was an idiot for grabbing the Brillo pad). 2 - a 3M pad is pretty much just like sand paper on gel coat at a more aggressive grit than 1000. The 3m pad does allow getting into tight corners because it is stiffl but the scratches in those tight corners will be hard to remove with higher grit paper and compound.

Just my $0.02

I have same problem with my boat, i had recently purchase it from local market and just after two days it doing problem.
    Can i take it back to the previous own or prepare it my self?
    welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming View Post
    I have same problem with my boat, i had recently purchase it from local market and just after two days it doing problem.
    If by "market" you mean "dealer", taking it back will depend on what the problem is. If it is scratches you put in the gel coat, then you are are your own and will have to fix the scratches your self or take them to a repair place and pay to have them fixed. If it is some defect in the gel coat and there is still warranty then the deal should get it fixed for you. If you bought a used boat from a private person, then you are on your own as private sales are generally "as is".

If your going to own a boat, you have three choices, either get comfortable fixing dings and scratches yourself, be happy paying to have it done, or just live with the scratches and dings.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming View Post
    I have tried some polish but could not overcome the problem successfully.

marine sanitation
    welcome

What about one of the foam balls that attach to a drill motor. Like Mother's Power Ball