Logo

Gas tank sending unit on 85 Chris Craft Scorpion / 5.0L Mercruser with 30 gallon tank

gee3035

Does anyone know what the sending unit manufacturer / part # would be for Gas tank sending unit on 1985 Chris Craft Scorpion 187 / 5.0L Mercruser /GM V-8 305cid with 30 gallon tank ?? I built a trap door to tank a few years ago when I replaced the floor. I can get at tank in minutes. Is there a number on sending unit I could see from top of tank?? Next, Once I have the new part I'm wondering if this a job I can do safely, or should I leave fooling with gas tank/sending unit to a full time mechanic... I am a good, self-tought, mechanic, but I don't want to learn the hard way -- on fire! Appreciate any info one might have. All the best, GEE3035

Just buy a universal sender and be done with it. You can do it but BE CAREFUL. Wear all cotton clothing and NO SYNTHETICS! They will cause static sparks. Keep a fire extinguisher next to you and have a friend stand by with a garden hose ready for an accident. DISCONNECT all batteries first. I say all of this just as a precaution.

There are two basic types used,

One uses a magnetic head and as the float rises or falls the head spins clock wise or c'clockwise.

The other is simply a variable resistor so to speak type and it only goes up and down.

You must remove and inspect what type yours is before buying any replacement.

Back