Logo

Gator Tilt Trailer Question

ko4nrbs

Regular Contributor
I have a 1972 Gator Tilt type boat trailer just like the one in this ad I found on the web.
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/boa/3016548066.html
It came with a 1971 Fabuglas 16 foot boat on it.
Fabuglas4.jpg

Could this trailer been sold with the boat? In addition I don't have any need of a Tilt trailer so I thought I would weld up the tilt hinge and add some braces. The trailer seems just too flimsy to me. You can really get some left to right movement of the tongue when shaking the bow of the boat.

What do you guys think?
Bill

nothing to lose welding it....i have done that before with a similar boat.....that should take care of the left-right problem....word of caution on lifting that boat to do the welding....those old boats wont take any rough handling....if possible put the boat in the water and then weld it and reload the boat...are those 13 inch tires on the trailer?...i cant tell from the pic...

nothing to lose welding it....i have done that before with a similar boat.....that should take care of the left-right problem....word of caution on lifting that boat to do the welding....those old boats wont take any rough handling....if possible put the boat in the water and then weld it and reload the boat...are those 13 inch tires on the trailer?...i cant tell from the pic...

I think they are 12". I'll look tonight.
Bill

i have this boat with an old johnson electric start motor on it.does anyone know what size motor i need to push this boat,im not gonna need it for speed

Back