Logo

1969 85 hp shifting issues

Nick Laethem

hey all i got an issue with the shifting of my engine. it wont go into reverse or neutral and yes it is an electronic shift. ive had this issue once before and i had the lower unit rebuilt. well now the problem arose again and the thing is roasting the fuses i put into it. i put a bigger fuse in the inline fuse holder and the fuse holder got really hot. im thinking it is a short maby in the shift control box. anyone ever heard of that going bad. any resposes will be of much help thanks all

See how it operates by bypassing the control box.-------Find the 2 wires at the back of the motor that go to the lower unit.------Apply 12 volts to green for nuetral and 12 volts to green and blue to get reverse.-----If you have had the motor for a while then I am sure you know that the motor must be running in order to shift gears.

thank you bud i was kinda reading through some of the other forums pertaining this subject and ive also noticed that the battery doesnt appear to be charging eaither the voltage guage reads 12 but shouldnt it read 13.5-14.3. and also there are times when the starter just spins put it doesnt throw out the armature on the starter. these are probly a seperate issue i have to deal with

Back