Logo

327F stalls at low RPM

dcbullington

Contributing Member
All,

I am having trouble with my 1968 327F stalling at low RPM (1200) when I'm under way. The engine runs fine (but is hard to start) until I slow down under load. I have the stock ignition system with the Hall type upgrade. I rebuilt the carb and checked/re-checked the timing. I think it's flooding out because it won't start for at least 10 minutes and then fires right off. The engine was rebuilt in 2009 and I had the compression checked just in case to confirm no issues there.
Could it be the Velvetdrive dragging? The fluid is fresh and there are no noises or slipping.
Any ideas?

Dave

thanks I replaced them both with the Hotspark units when I installed the electronic ignition. Did you relocate the coils or insulate them somehow?

Dave

UPDATE:

I think I have this solved. The Hotspark Coils I purchased with the ignition module were the wrong ones. The coils needed to be 1.5 ohm or less primary resistance. I didn't check this because I got them as a package from Hotspark and just assumed they were the correct coils. Not so....I finally checked them because I had run out of things to check and what do you know, they had 2.5 ohms across the terminals. I ran down to Autozone and bought a pair of Accel 1.2 ohm coils and the engines are running great. Had the boat out last night with no problems. The moral of this story is always check the specs on any components you install because people make mistakes and you can't assume that what you ordered was what was sent!

Dave

Back