Logo

Need Help With a Alarm Problem

zerzie

I have a Nissan 70 outboard that has an alarm going off. The alarm goes off on first startup when the motor is cold and has been sitting in the water overnight and will continue after warmed up. It only goes off in forward or reverse. It does not go off in neutral. I recently replaced the water pump and have great water pressure coming out of both the check port and idler port. I cleaned and checked the oil filter and bleed the oil lines. There is plenty of oil in the reservoir and it does go down when I’m burning fuel. I inspected and cleaned off the overheat sensor. I even tried unplugging both sensors but the alarm still goes off. Is there any way to check if a sensor is bad? I don’t want to waist $70 bucks if I don’t have to. Is there a Thermstat on this motor. I cant find anything in the manual on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is the model 70A, B, or C, or is it a TLDI A2 or B?

They all have thermostats. D/L a copy of your owner's manual, which details the alarms at http://www.nissanmarine.com/tech_talk/owners_manuals.html

If you have disconnected the oil level and temperature senders and still have the alarm, there may be a fault in the wiring. You can troubleshoot with the aid of a Factory service manual, available from any dealer (including me).

The model is NS70C. I did d/l the manual that's how I found the sensors. Is there any reason the alarm would go off if the sensors are unplugged? Do you think its worth taking apart the throttle control to check for wiring issues?
How much do you sell manuals for?

If the senders are disconnected and it still alarms, there is probably a short to ground in a sensor wire. Could be inside the cowl, in the cord, or in the control. Time to break out the old analog ohm meter, and, using the wiring diagram in the manual as a guide, track down the short. Your service manual covers all 3 & 4 cylinder 2-stroke models. Part# 003-21036-1 $45.00 I have them on the shelf. If you drop me an email at the office:p[email protected] or call 716-877-8221 9-7 M-F (eastern), I can ship one out right away.

Back