Logo

1980 Johnson 25hp... weird problem

I was having a few issues with my 1980 Johnson 25hp. It was very cold natured and was having issues idling among other things. I decided to pull the carb off and clean it and put a new carb kit in it. It is factory electric start so in order to remove the carburetor I had to remove the starter. Now, after getting it all back together it will not even try to fire. I know it is getting fuel because I can smell it in the cylinders when I remove the plugs. I also know that it is getting spark cuz I tested that by ground them to the block. Is there anything that anyone can think of to try? I wanted to rule out a fuel issue so I sprayed a little bit of starting fluid in the cylinders and it still did not fire off. I am baffled!

Haven't you installed the choke wrong? Is the butterfy open in normal position?

Yep, the butterfly is operating like it should. I am going to investigate into it a little further. I also had a suggestion from a mechanic at a local boat shop that something is goofed up in the carb causing it to flood. I can assume that even after spraying starting fluid into the cylinders if it is flooding itself that the fluid won't ignite either.

Disconnect fuel ( to keep it from flooding ) and see if it will start then.------------What is the compressionon this motor ?

Back