Logo

Throttle and Gear controls, Chrysler 45

I bought a Chrysler 45 and it runs great, but I'm having trouble adjusting the gear control cable. The
throttle cable is set perfect. It throttles nice and easy, forward and back. And when I push in the gear
button it shifts nicely into drive forward. then when I shift back to neutral then into reverse, nothing.
I guess it's just out of adjustment but I'm not sure how to proceed. I've ordered a manual but it wont be here till Wed and I thought I might get a little extra feedback from some experienced boaters.
Anybody got experience with Chrysler controls?

Start with the controls(unhooked) and the motor both in neutral.
Leave the silver button alone.It's for finding fast idle in neutral.
Shift the motor by hand(motor off)turning prop with your foot or a helper.
Then shift the shifter till it's in neutral.
Line up the connector on the motor turning it in or out to line up the conector.
Then try shifting all the time turning the prop.The prop shaft MUST turn or it won't shift.

Thanks Jerry, I got the controls connected and she shifts into forward and reverse. So I took her out for a shakedown
cruise and what do you think!! I ran out of gas. I must be getting about one mile to the gallon. So anyway, after it died
the wind pushed me over to a dock where no one seems to be living. I walked home, got the car and got some gas and
filled her up, but now it won't start. It always started in quick time, but now it won't fire. It turns over, and I don't crank it more than a second or two, but it wont catch. It's getting fuel. Any ideas?

Back