Logo

280 kicks up when shifted into reverse

josephsiracusa

my 280 kicks up in reverse when shifted into reverse. on the trailer it shifts fine and locks into place however in the water when shifted into reverse the drive kicks up . 3 mechanics all have changed many parts such as the whole lock mechanism along with springs and new pawls , new push rod/acutator, new push rod sleeve and even new plunger. all they have done is taken my money and didnt resolve the problem. the result is they all gave up on me. i am frustrated as since i own the boat 3 years now, nobody can fix it. i notice when in the water once shifted into reverse there is a bang noise and sounds like the pawls sort of catch the tilt/lock pin but release and BANG, then they drive in floating. when on the trailer the bang noise dissapears and shift perfectly. on the trailer the pawls do grab the shift pin and lock, and i can pull as hard as i want and it does not release. i notice aprox 1 inch of play, it seems the drive has a jump start before the pawls grab the lock pin. i am confused and frustrated and could use a hand. according to the mechanics the adjustment screw on the actuator/push rod is set in to place. anybody help?

are you familiar with this drive? the mechanics that worked on the drive were volvo penta dealers. i even called volvo direct and spoke to their mechanic, he could not figure it out either. basec on my explaination what else could you suggest?

Unfortunately, the AQ series drive old timers have since retired.... and the new young guys don't want to learn the AQ series drives.
What a shame, because they are out there in numbers, and will remain for years to come.
And in many respects, they are much better designed than the drives that followed.

While on the trailer, and while going into reverse, there is no reverse prop thrust to pull the drive AFT and UP... smacking it into the rubber bumper.
While in the water there is plenty of thrust to give the drive the "Jump Start" as you put it.... and that is exactly what's happening.

This thrust quickly takes up the slack between the latch unit and the set pin.
When it does, your latch hooks are releasing from the set pin.
They should not release.
Something is wrong with the profile of the latch hooks, or the set pin, or perhaps even the geometry of the drive has changed due to worn bushings, etc. or even an incorrect assembly by the last person in there.
You may want to look into this.

Another common cause, would be if the vice rod (the plunger as you called it) is not fully retracting after the drive has been lowered.
If not retracted, it may be holding the release rod down, which in turn gives the latch hooks more releasing advantage with the "Jump Start" mentioned.

The screw that the mechanic is adjusting (which is actually a thrust sleeve) will only cause a change to the push rod from the vice rod pressure plate contact.
However, the push rod must fully allow the latch hooks to return to their highest position in order to latch onto the set pin.

Make darn sure that the little single center lift spring is good and strong!

By adjusting downward on the thrust sleeve, the push rod can return to a higher position ensuring latch hook contact with the set pin.
By adjusting upwards on the thrust sleeve, we ensure vice rod contact and drive tilt-up release function......, but we may pay a penalty the other way.

The adjustment is simple.... but it must allow the rod to function in both scenarios.

Common issue.
The bore in the suspension fork is not deep enough for the adjusting lock nut to travel upwards far enough.
With the push rod removed, increase the depth of this relief so that the locking nut can raise higher up into the suspension fork.
IOW, make it so that the nut can raise up further, thus raising the latch hooks, yet still have the correct thrust sleeve height.

A cheater test for this would be to adjust the thrust sleeve, but take the locking nut and run it way down.
Now the push rod can raise up higher within the suspension fork, while no longer being limited by the undersized relief.

I don't know if you can access and view this, as you may need to be a member.
I have put together an entire thread dedicated to the AQ series Volvo Penta drives here.
http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...82-Volvo-Penta-AQ-series-frequent-Q-s-amp-A-s

Go to the link titled Reverse Latch questions.

Is your idle RPM within specs?
Can you post a few good photos of the entire latch unit?

Last edited:
One more thought.
I have taken the latch hooks and have slightly changed the profile to help create a better hold on the set pin.
You'll want to leave the tips unchanged.... just create more angle where the set pin rests in the hooks.
NOTE: since these hooks mate tightly to the two side plates, you may also be removing some material from them .... not much... just a bit.
On one occasion, I built up material at the tips of a set of hooks, via TIG weld.
Your call on that.

See the red area..... remove some material here in a radial fashion..... and between the red lines in the second image.
(sorry for the crude drawing)

Attachments

• Volvo Penta latch hook mod.jpg
    Volvo Penta latch hook mod.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 268
  • Volvo Penta latch hook mod 2.jpg
    Volvo Penta latch hook mod 2.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 634
Last edited:
Back