Logo

Ford 272 marine cylinder orientation

BabbitMike

I am assembling a 272 Ford Interceptor engine. This engine sits in the boat with the drive transmission attached at the bell housing but has a reverse rotation crank shaft. Now my question is is #1 cylinder to the front and oriented as it would be in an automotive application OR is #1 now going to be at the rear of the engine on the right side as looking at the cam gear end of the engine? Any help here will be greatly appreciated.
Mike

I am assembling a 272 Ford Interceptor engine. This engine sits in the boat with the drive transmission attached at the bell housing but has a reverse rotation crank shaft. Now my question is is #1 cylinder to the front and oriented as it would be in an automotive application OR is #1 now going to be at the rear of the engine on the right side as looking at the cam gear end of the engine? Any help here will be greatly appreciated.
Mike
A similar Chrysler 360 engine topic was beaten almost to death just about a year ago.

All of these gassers originated from the automotive side, and most all engine makers consider the forward most cylinder to be #1.
If we (the engine marinizer) chooses to install an engine facing AFT... such as a V-Drive application, #1 cylinder orientation should remain the same.

Very similar to a RH Reverse rotation engine for a Stbd side installation.
If the Stbd side engine is fitted to a V-Drive, it is still considered a RH Reverse Rotation engine since we always view Rotation from the flywheel end.

I'm not familiar with the 272, but I'd be quite surprised if the FWD-Most cylinder was not #1.

Most Ford engine diagrams will show #1 as the forward-most cylinder on the crankshaft.
66742d1239727387-firing-order-picture

I did finally get it figured out, the cylinders are oriented with #1 to the front passenger side as in automotive but the firing order is 12736845. It has reverse rotation crank but normal rotation cam. I normally work on automotive engines but was asked to assemble this one due to the installer having time constraints. Thank you for your help and I have run into the reversed Chryslers on the orientation and the one I worked on was with #1 at the back of the engine.
Mike

I did finally get it figured out, the cylinders are oriented with #1 to the front passenger side as in automotive but the firing order is 12736845. It has reverse rotation crank but normal rotation cam. I normally work on automotive engines but was asked to assemble this one due to the installer having time constraints. Thank you for your help and I have run into the reversed Chryslers on the orientation and the one I worked on was with #1 at the back of the engine.
Mike, yes... the firing order will be reverse from that of a conventional rotation engine...... and beginning from #1 cylinder.

I am puzzled about your mention of a "reverse rotation crankshaft". What is that all about?
In most other gasoline engines, the same crankshaft is used, piston wrist pin offset is reversed, and the camshaft can be rotated in one of several ways.... 2 gear driven, 4 gear driven, chain driven.
It sounds as though your cam is being two-gear driven, in which case it will rotate it in the conventional direction, but of course the profile would be for the reverse cylinder firing order.
Your distributor drive would remain conventional.

As far as ignition timing goes, we should be able to ignition time from any cylinder, as long as we have a corresponding TDC mark for that particular cylinder.
IOW, if the balancer (or flywheel) was indexed in 8 positions (V-8), you could strobe from any cylinder's spark plug wire, and end up with accurate ignition timing.

On the Chrysler 318/360 #1 cylinder topic..... that was precisely the disagreement.
The person who argued this was member Greasemonkey.
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?390821-number-one-on-chrysler-marine-318
He swore that the 318/360 #1 cylinder was as per your comment, but could not provide any Chrysler Marine supporting data or information on this.

Conversely, several of us provided information via Chrysler Marine that clearly showed #1 in the standard location (I.E., the FWD-most cylinder).
If you have this info, by all means, please post it, or post a link to where I could read it.
I'm talking about Chrysler Marine Corp info........ Not info such as some of the unorthodox ChrisCraft installations.
I would love to see this!

Good luck with your 272. You must be restoring an older boat.

Unfortunately I no longer have any of the info from the Chrysler I worked on yrs ago. Ok, The crank may be the same for both auto and marine (I don't have any V8 cranks in the shop right now to compare to) but the automotive Y block has 2 sprockets and a chain whereas this engine is gear to gear keeping the cam rotating clockwise from the front of engine and the crank rotating counterclockwise. I do remember that the Chrysler was a head scratcher until we had a boat mechanic show up and laugh at all of us then he gave the service manager some copied paperwork. Yes I am helping to restore a 1955 wooden boat.
Mike

Back