Logo

67 80 hp johonson thermostat spring question ?? Please help

glnutt

I took my thermostat apart and can not remeber if the heavy spring goes over pressure valve or vernatherm valve. Can anyone help. I a newbe to this old motor. I'll be watching for an answer.
thanks
glnutt
florida

ALSO NOT GETTING MUCH WATER FROM THE PUMP
I pulled water hose off port head and started engine only a small stream coming out . These older engines don't have pees hole. Has brand new impeller in it

In a barrel, large trash can, whatever..... the water level must be approximately 3" to 4" above the joint where the lower unit bolts up to the long exhaust housing (water being above water pump).

With the hoses attached, water should shoot out the exhaust relief hole (halfway down exhaust housing cover) with quite a bit of force. It takes a short amount of time to fill the block with water.

water level 4" above top of water pump. I rechecked impeller seems the bottom plate in pump has a fair amount of wear pattern, you fell with finger maybe .008 to..012 or more in places. Is this enough clearance to kill water pressure?pipe is going into grommet about 1/2" seems good fit.
Also back flushed the engine through water ports in r side head with hose very good 1/2" stream water ran out L side head. I"ve ordered new plate and gasket shouls be here wed or thursday I"ll repost after to let you know how it turns out.
thank you for all you help
glnutt
florida

Any scoring on the impeller plate or housing can result in an air pocket. I've always installed a complete water pump assembly to eliminate double work.

didn't know you could buy the whole assembly. I'll definitely remember this in the future. Thanks for your help and I will repost when this one is rebuilt. Gone for the weekend grandpa duties.
again thanks
glnutt

Thanks for help with thermostast spring problem.
But still had problem with overheating Even with new plate in water pump, still over heated. After many pleasurable hour of taking lower unit on and off , Pull head cover broken bolts etc ;) I had a brain fart and pulled small cover off lower unit , the one with the 2" wide X 1/4 " high screen and restarted the engine .
quess what no more overheating . some new head cover gaskets a couple of new hose clamps and problem solved expect I don't know why any answers I cut out cover and made a larger pass way ,and J B weld and coarse screen over larger hole seems to be working great.
Thanks for the reply and helpgreat site and I'll be watching for new problems
GLNUTT

Back