Logo

starter motor problem

warnie100

hi folks i am a newbie here and have just purchased a 1975 model 85 v4 it has been sitting for 12 months and prior to fitting it i thought i would start it and flush everything . i have conected the leads to the solinoid and earth and tried to start it .1st i had no power so cleaned all the contacts on the leads got power to the bottom of the solinoid none to the top terminal on solinoid going to the starter so i crossed a couple of screw drivers from bottom terminal to the small +lead on solinoid the starter spun but wouldnt engage the fly wheel at this point we have smoke and the negative lead from the battery to earth on motor burnt in half and the wire ended up like powder can any one please help

Battery must be top notch and fully charged.
Cables must be in good condition.
Cable terminal ends must be clean as must be the component they attach to.
All cable and wire connections must be tightened with a wrench or pliers, not your fingers if wing nuts are encountered.

You have indicated that at least one of the cables failed due to a internal corrosion problem.

You have smoke...... from where???

The starter not engaging flywheel when voltage is applied directly to starter = Faulty battery, bad cables, bendix gear stuck, something of that nature.

thankyou for your reply the smke came from the eart lead half way along where it disintergrated thanks again wayne and i will recheck all others

Back