Logo

Distributor

Bob, unless I'm not seeing something correctly, they do have a driven gear, but it is a separate gear not directly attached to the distributor shaft.......... Yes/No?

This would be the same driven gear that is swapped out for a RH rotation camshaft. The same two gears that cause the change to the thrust direction... yes/no?

Last edited:
Yes there has to be a gear It must be internal not actually part of the distributor itself. Without the collar the distributor sits above the engine. On the other engine the distributor drops right in.
Bob

Last summer as part of a "get rid of all the PO's old parts" effort, I replaced the Prestolite distributors on my circa 1980 Chrysler 360s. Both of the Prestolites were exactly the same length. I still have them on my workbench.

I replaced them with Mallory 9-26305 distributors that use magnetic triggering. They dropped right in. Unlike the SBCs, they have a key on the shaft, not a gear.

That particular Mallory distributor required an external resistor and I bought and installed two from Mallory.

My mistake was to also replace the old coils with new Mallory "HyFire" coils. One of those failed after just few hours of operation. It didn't cause a miss, it went stone dead at 2,800 rpm, causing me to make the sharpest turn to starboard that I have even experienced.

I'm the guy who was told by a boat-friendly NAPA guy that he had replaced about a dozen of those Mallory coils in the last year. I bought two NAPA replacements and they work just fine. The NAPA guy said that the Mallory coils are made in China and pointed out that mine was leaking. It was, just enough to get some oil on my finger when I ran it around the top. Hadn't noticed that.

NAPA coils are made in Mexico, if that makes any difference.

Many of you guys know more about Chrysler marine ignitions that I ever will, but isn't it possible that there were some differences during all of the years that the 318 and 360 were built more marine use that would account for this difference in distributors? Mine are the same length. Really.

Bill

That particular Mallory distributor required an external resistor and I bought and installed two from Mallory.
Bill, your Mallory is the YLM series using VR triggering technology. This series can use either resisted or non-resisted voltage for the triggering unit according to Mallory's installation information.
The coil is what should determine whether or not the ballast is required for the coil supply voltage.

linemal9-26305.jpg

Rick altho both distributors are the same the distributor on the reverse motor sits higher out of the block (the height of the bushing / collar.)
Iam sure the gear is in the oil pump.
Bob

I guess Rick and Bob this is why I kicked this thread off, the pertronix is 1/2 inch longer on the shaft( haven't got it handy to double check). Yes the drive is in the engine but was concerned with the difference in the shaft lengths for two distributors( brands) for the same engine.
Tony

Boy this is a long thread I installed two pertronix in my 1980 318 twins.
Had no issues they are working great knock on wood.
Bob

And getting longer, but that's what forums a for. So people who don't have your knowledge/ skill can rip a bit off there engine, talk to a few people, do a bit of homework, talk to their mechanic, have a scratch around, get some good advise on this forum ( hopefully), have a few beers, order some bits and hopefully get the same result you did.

It's merely a hunk of metal that keeps the oil drive gear down against thrust loads that would push it up (in reverse rotation engine applications).

Jeff

It's merely a hunk of metal that keeps the oil drive gear down against thrust loads that would push it up (in reverse rotation engine applications).

Jeff
Jeff, OK.... I'm following along with interest here.
If the LH and RH engine distributors are basically the same, but the RH requires an aluminum housing that raises the distributor's height by X", then what makes up the difference in the distributor shaft length?

I believe that the oil pump drive gear down-load thrust is checked by the landing of the engine block..... yes/no?
The aluminum housing must check the up-load thrust for the RH engine distributor..... yes/no?
If the RH distributor is raised up by X", then is it safe to assume that the RH engine oil pump drive gear is also taller by that same X" ?

When I did a search just now, this comes up for the standard rotation 318/360 oil pump drive gear.
images

Jeff, OK.... I'm following along with interest here.
If the LH and RH engine distributors are basically the same, but the RH requires an aluminum housing that raises the distributor's height by X", then what makes up the difference in the distributor shaft length?

I believe that the oil pump drive gear down-load thrust is checked by the landing of the engine block..... yes/no?
The aluminum housing must check the up-load thrust for the RH engine distributor..... yes/no?
If the RH distributor is raised up by X", then is it safe to assume that the RH engine oil pump drive gear is also taller by that same X" ?

When I did a search just now, this comes up for the standard rotation 318/360 oil pump drive gear.
images

My head hurts!!

Trojanman..... here, try this! :D
images

Aren't we simply installing a Rev Oil Pump gear in place of a Std drive gear?
I get the thrust load direction thing.
I was just curious as to the aluminum spacer sitting taller, thus perhaps the REV gear unit is taller by the same amount.
Again, just curious.

attachment.php

Looking at the photo of that oil pump drive shaft made me cringe!

While waiting for a long block for my boat, I ground all of the teeth off my existing gear so I could pre-lub the motor with it (run by a drill). I assumed the long block would come with a new gear, but... Gaaa!

They were nice and sold me one, cheap.

Jeff

Another question or two on timing and advance curves? I read the other threads on the 440 on this subject but here goes.The instructions for the distributor has Three sets of springs for different advance profiles, which one do you think is appropriate? And what about the maximum advance?
Thanks again...

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 73
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 623
The affect of the three spring sets are shown as line items.... degrees as per crankshaft RPM.
What is the intent?
Are we suppose to pick and choose a set that sounds good, or is this multiple choice, or musical chairs?

Perhaps plot these out in graph form and compare them to the Chrysler Marine Corp curve graph.
But wait..... we're not able to find a Chrysler Marine Corp curve graph! :mad:

As I see this, we're right back to square one.

I see that someone hand wrote 26* @ 3k rpm. Who's writing and is that verifiable?

I don't mean to be a Nah Sayer, but I think that you really need some information from Chrysler Marine.

Last edited:
The hand written note was on the manual when I bought the boat?the three options are from the instructions that came with the new dizzy, along with the three sets of springs to match!

Tony, I understand what you're saying, and thanks for the clarification on the hand written numbers.
And forgive my sarcasm in my previous post!

Be that as it may, and to use no sarcasm......., with the three spring (curve) options, what are we/you supposed to do with that information?
Does the literature that came with the distributor go into detail regarding the Marine version of this engine?
Is there any reference to the Chrysler Marine engine curve?

In this info below (other than the hand written numbers), it's obvious that there is no useable data under; "Advance (centrifugal) Automatic (Distributor Degrees at Distributor RPM)".
I've plotted this out before in one of the other Chrysler ignition advance threads, and it does not make heads or tails.
IOW, you can't come up with a decent curve or limit with those numbers.
Example: 6* to 8* @ 550 distributor RPM = 12* to 16* crankshaft angle @ 1,100 crankshaft RPM.
Add BASE advance of X*, and you can see where we are!
Something is wrong with those numbers!

Rick.....sarcasm is the only kind of humour australians understand. So keep it coming. And again thanks for the comments, hopefully the distributor will be in today or tomorrow and well see how it goes.
Tony

Back