Logo

Yanmar 2GM Loss of Power

Knute000

During idle and in neutral this engine runs fine and can rev up to 2800 rpm without any strain. However, under power when it gets above 2400 rpm there is a significant loss of power and the engine begins belching black smoke out of the engine air intake cleaner/silencer. A year ago I replaced the U-type mixing elbow which a mechanic thougt it was blocked with carbon. That apparently was not the problem because with less than another six hours on the engine the problem has reamerged. Anybody having eperienced this problem on their Yanmar 2GM or another similar diesel inboard engine and have any idea on what is causing this loss of power and smoke from the fresh air intake I would appreciate your ideas/suggested solutions. Thank you.

During idle and in neutral this engine runs fine and can rev up to 2800 rpm without any strain. However, under power when it gets above 2400 rpm there is a significant loss of power and the engine begins belching black smoke out of the engine air intake cleaner/silencer. A year ago I replaced the U-type mixing elbow which a mechanic thougt it was blocked with carbon. That apparently was not the problem because with less than another six hours on the engine the problem has reamerged. Anybody having eperienced this problem on their Yanmar 2GM or another similar diesel inboard engine and have any idea on what is causing this loss of power and smoke from the fresh air intake I would appreciate your ideas/suggested solutions. Thank you.

My experence has been with 3gmf yanmar's. First is the mixing elbow ( clean or replace) next is the prop (clean) OR IS IT WRONG SIZE OR PITCH ? Will the engine reach full RPM's if out of gear ? If so then it is the prop. A fouled bottom will also make the engine smoke at higher speeds. So clean the bottom, prop and mixing elbow. Black smoke is fuel that has no burned. Could be an injector, but rare... Good luck

Back