Logo

Stuck in Reverse - reverse only after removing lower unit Evinrude 200HP YR2000

JET OWEY

[FONT=&quot]What was to be a preventive maintenance job turned out to break a well running engine. We changed the water pump and lower seals located under the pump. To make matters worse, I was put in the water and now sitting there half dead in the water at the slip.

Anyhow I believe I put the shifter rod back (the 3/8 screw/bolt located in the middle front of the engine near the latch which holds the engine cover on) while the shifter at the helm was in reverse position. Note positive my best guess. This will be a little tricky working on the water so want to be sure I have a decent idea what to do. Boat runs great except all shifter positions at the helm result in reverse.

I give this detail on the screw/bolt location that holds the top of the shifter rod since several smarter folks than me suggested in order to disconnect/connect the rod it is on the starboard side and there is a cotter pin. Did not see that. I connected and unconnected from port-side, and the screw was in the engine center and no cotter pin.

Ready to go do the fix but would love to have a little more guidance.

Thanks in advance.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]What was to be a preventive maintenance job turned out to break a well running engine. We changed the water pump and lower seals located under the pump. To make matters worse, I was put in the water and now sitting there half dead in the water at the slip.

Anyhow I believe I put the shifter rod back (the 3/8 screw/bolt located in the middle front of the engine near the latch which holds the engine cover on) while the shifter at the helm was in reverse position. Note positive my best guess. This will be a little tricky working on the water so want to be sure I have a decent idea what to do. Boat runs great except all shifter positions at the helm result in reverse.

I give this detail on the screw/bolt location that holds the top of the shifter rod since several smarter folks than me suggested in order to disconnect/connect the rod it is on the starboard side and there is a cotter pin. Did not see that. I connected and unconnected from port-side, and the screw was in the engine center and no cotter pin.

Ready to go do the fix but would love to have a little more guidance.

Thanks in advance.

[/FONT]

I figured it out, the shifter rod was not connected. Contact should anyone need details. Did not need to drop lower unit.

Back