Logo

Help with 150 GT. after shut down

oran

I apologize in advance if this post is long, but I want to try and give how story before I leave for work.
I sold my 1988 Johnson 150 GT. to a guy and I installed it on his bass boat. His motor was 1992 Evinrude crossflow. Now after he runs it to the first spot and stops and fishes for about 5-10 minutes, the motor fires up no problem but when he puts it in gear to move it stalls out like its ran out of fuel. The motor will start right up and if you put it up on fast idle for about 30-45 seconds it takes off with out a problem. The power head I took off his motor had a bad cyl. and he never had a problem like this until I installed my power head on his motor.
I never had a problem like this either,but I catfish and when I fired up the motor, I put it on fast idle and then pull the anchor, put away the gear. This whole process may take a few minutes which is probably why I never noticed this problem.
A week before I sold him the motor the rectifer burnt up and caught on fire on the motor I sold him. I checked resistance of the stators charging side on my motor and compared it to his and they were both around 1000 ohms. So I just put his rectifer on my motor.
As far as things I have done to my motor before I sold to him is I put metal bowls on my carbs., removed and replumbed freshly rebuilt diaphram fuel pumps on my motor. I have no gap NGK plugs since I did alot of idleing watching the depth finder and catching bait.
Now since I have installed the powerhead on his motor, I have went back through the carbs looking for a possible air leak,This past weekend I even put his old carbs on but this made no difference, I put a new outboard inline fuel filter on and no difference,but I see the filter is full of fuel. I tightened the female terminals on the main motor harness. Replaced the bulb and fuel lines from the tank to the motor with 3/8 lines. Before I start the motor Hit the bulb and its hard. There is no signs of water or trash in the filter or the tank.
Since he had a VRO I mixed the oil to match the gas he had in the tank. The motor smokes when cold but after it warms up there is no smoke. But when the motor is fired up after sitting for 5-10 minutes it smokes at start up bad,but clears up. Running down the river or at idle the motor runs like a sewing machine no problems.
Being a mechanic myself(Diesel Mechanic) not an outboard, it just baffles me what is going on. To me it acts like the carbs are leaking down,but i cant find ant gas leaks and the filter stays full. I am ready to pull my hair out with thing. Next I was going to put his VRO pump back on and block off the oil line.
Please help me with as I am at my wits end. Thanks in advance,Oran

Back