Logo

engine cooling water pump...Confused???????

1st gibson

Ok,
I have a 74 Gibson with twin 318's The other day I started it up and one engine was squeeling pretty good and the water pump pulley was wobbling.how do I know what model pump I have? It has 2 inlets and 2 outlets and looks to have 2 spaces for impellers. I tried to add a pic but would not let me.
Any help would b appreciated.
Thanks
Scott

It could also be a 60 in which both the impellers are the same size. In the 55 there are 2 different size impellers. if its a 55 pump 2 of the water ports will be an inch and a half or quarter and the other 2 will be an inch. on the 60 all 4 are an inch. The sherwood impeller part # for the 60 pump with one inch water ports is 09959K. The D55 will also use one of the 09959k impeller plus a larger impeller but I am unsure of that part #

Sorry, I should have added this to my previous post. They do make repair kits for those pumps but it sounds like yours maybe to far gone. New ones are not cheap! There is a used one on Ebay its a D60 as all the water ports are 1 inch. Good luck.

Sorry, I should have added this to my previous post. They do make repair kits for those pumps but it sounds like yours maybe to far gone. New ones are not cheap! There is a used one on Ebay its a D60 as all the water ports are 1 inch. Good luck.

Thanks for your help on this.
Scott

They also sell rebuild kits for these units. I would make sure the housing isn't broken before I order kits.Complete kits come with new bearings and seals and impellers.
Keep an eye on the impeller be sure to install it the same way if you choose this route. I just rebuilt both of mine, it was a bigger pain then I thought. One came apart by pressing the old bearings out with a brass hammer. The other one took a huge effort and needed to be pressed out with a shop press. Both worked out well.If I had the extra money I would have bought the unit new. These units are supposed to be rebuilt every 4 years. Change impellers every two.Mine looked as if they were never rebuilt.I will keep a close eye on them from now on.Kits are fairly expensive a little less then 1/2 the cost of a new one.
Bob

Update. I found a D60 on ebay should be shipped today. Where can i find the pulley for it? It looks like a lawnmower pully. thanks for your help you all have been great for a newbe!!!!

Back