Logo

Problem #2

hgput17

Last weekend, lots of knocking from the bell housing after commissioning. At the suggestion of this BB, changed Cap, Rotor, and Plugs this morning. No more knocking. So, thank you to all of those who helped.

Now a new problem(?)....after placing the ignition components, let the boat run for 5-10mins, put tools away, getting ready to depart the slip when just as we're about to release the lines, the engine stops running. Just like someone shut the key off. Turned it over many, many times, nothing...... Pulled a few plugs to check to see if there was spark; and there was. I'm guessing it's fuel related (?) although not sure. Fuel pump is new as of end of last year and boat has many hours since replacement. Very frustrating. Time to call the mechanic tomorrow.

Thoughts or suggestions?

1995 Crusader 454 XL

Pull the flame arrestor, work manually the throttle, look for gas quirting in the primary holes of the carb, under the choke plates.

Last weekend, lots of knocking from the bell housing after commissioning. At the suggestion of this BB, changed Cap, Rotor, and Plugs this morning. No more knocking. So, thank you to all of those who helped.

Now a new problem(?)....after placing the ignition components, let the boat run for 5-10mins, put tools away, getting ready to depart the slip when just as we're about to release the lines, the engine stops running. Just like someone shut the key off. Turned it over many, many times, nothing...... Pulled a few plugs to check to see if there was spark; and there was. I'm guessing it's fuel related (?) although not sure. Fuel pump is new as of end of last year and boat has many hours since replacement. Very frustrating. Time to call the mechanic tomorrow.

Thoughts or suggestions?

1995 Crusader 454 XL

This may help, maybe not but thought I would throw it out there. Sierra makes caps and rotors, I ordered their tune-up consisting of the cap and rotor. When I got the rotor out and ready to put it on the dist, I dropped it and it fell apart (I dropped it on a piece of plywood,not concrete). They have a snap on piece on the top and this is what fell apart. I had to order a new rotor (returned it as defective). The shock was how cheaply it was made.

Since you did work on the ignition and now having a problem, I would be suspect of the parts. I read that you have spark, but is it to all cylinders? As for me, I am going to order OEM parts next time.

Water in the gas should be easy to see in your fuel/water filters. Take a filter off and look in the filter holder for water and fuel.

***************Here is a tip that I use every winterizing season..........This can apply to all fuel tank openings but especially if your tank filler caps are on a flat surface..

After putting in fuel stabilizer and putting the filler caps back on the tanks, I run a bead of DRAFT STOP silicone around each edge of each cap. DRAFT STOP is easy to peel off in the Spring, leaves no residue and ensures no water gets in the gas tank through a faulty sealing cap or gouged "O" ring in the cap..

Thanks for the input...honestly, I would be nice if the boat was a little closer...b/c I'd check the filter/water separator and the elec pump operation....it'll have to wait until this weekend. It was much more convenient to tackle these things when it was in my yard over the winter.

sent you an email..info there..includes photos. If you don't see it, check your SPAM folder...........................Don

Back