Logo

salt water in 6v71

adylovestrisha

:confused:hi fellow boaties, last year 2011 we had huge rain falls in sydney australia due to the heavy rain it caused a few holes in the deak and rear of boat listed and salt water entered though the exhust and filled the sump up pushing all the oil out the dipstick,the water remaind in 4 months due to the marina not doing their job i havn't been able 2 see my boat distance and work. help what do u think iam up for thanks and regards adrian

adrian I owe you more information about your problem. First I need to tell you that I am a detroit diesel marine mechanic and have been since 1971.
4 months of salt water in your engine means that it is not worth trying to save. If you have the money, repower it with a factory rebiuld cummins. If not then I would look for a good running take out from a truck. Then move all of the marine parts over to it.
The reduction gear is also done.
Mike

thanks 4 your info goldenwrench,what if did a in chassis rebuild it would be hard to install a new engine i would have 2 cut and reweld the stern of her regards adrian

There is no chance of doing an "in chassis rebuild" with a salt water intrusion that has been sitting for 4 months. The water had compromised areas of the engine block that cannot be accessed for inspection while it's sitting in the hull.

adrian
There is no way you can do an "inframe overhaul" on this engine. The crankshaft, oil pump, connecting rods, lower timing gears, and block have been soaking in salt water for four months. This will be very expensive to repair. The 6V71 was used mostly in trucks. Truck shops are throwing them into dumpsters in this country because they are 2-strokes and no longer wanted. Your lest exspensive fix is to try and find a good running take out. Transfere the marine parts from your current engine to it. Mike

tar mike,sorry its taken a awhile to reply,throwing them out i started to cry when i read that 6v71s still bring big dollars here thanks 4 your in put regards adrian

Back