Logo

Urgent , Freespin of propeller?

OntarioGuy

Contributing Member
I just finished putting the skeg on my little 1967 6 Horse, should the propeller be easy to spin when in neutral? like very smooth? I don't want to say its binding but it seems a little tight"snug". I haven't been able to start the motor as I'm waiting for a flywheel ( going to be here in 2 hours) (fishing derby starts in 8 hours). Just wondering if anyone can shed some light...

Thanks everyone

Did you fit the bearings on the pins ??------------------Give the end of propshaft a love tap with with a hammer ??

Yep and it switches through gears fine. It seemed to be fine until I tightened up the skeg bolts? Maybe not...

I will try tapping it a bit right now.

Just tapped it a bit, seemed to loosen up a bit... but not much.... Its at the point where I just put my hand right onto the propeller (flat palm one hand) and can turn it with my wrist. It makes no odd noises or anything though.

It should spin easily , very easily in nuetral, so I think something is wrong !--------History on this unit is ??

It was fine when I took it apart... Its better now after i drained the oil and loosened the skeg bolts? lol maybe ill give it a few more taps, wish i could post a video

I took it off

Racerone, what type of sealent do you use? I think I used to much gasket sealant and it binded it up (chunky). I took everything apart now...going to put it back together in 20-30 mins after cleaning

It sounds like you might be in error pertaining to answering the "Racerone' question about the centering pins.

The forward bearing has a slot/hole that must be aligned with a pin in the upper housing... and of course the rear bearing/seal housing assembly has a hole that a pin must also be aligned with. That forward bearing/sleeve is easy to misalign.

The problem was "gasket gunk"... Everything is fixed now thankfully!

Thanks guys for letting me know something was actually wrong... Was stressin' and just wanted to start it as is, but didnt.

It was my fault.

I used way to much, especially since some got lodged in the housing where the shaft goes inside the bearing.

another question if someone could help me, the throttle doesn't want to go to full. Full is at about 3/4 right now. is the gearing wrong?

Thanks

I ran it all weekend for the fishing derby. but it does not open all the way up. The butterfly does stop; I can press my finger on the rubber grommet and open up more RPM and go faster..

I'll have a closer look at it tomorrow as I was just happy she purred for 15-18 hours non stop trolling this whole weekend :)

Back