MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Default Urgent , Freespin of propeller?

I just finished putting the skeg on my little 1967 6 Horse, should the propeller be easy to spin when in neutral? like very smooth? I don't want to say its binding but it seems a little tight"snug". I haven't been able to start the motor as I'm waiting for a flywheel ( going to be here in 2 hours) (fishing derby starts in 8 hours). Just wondering if anyone can shed some light...

Thanks everyone

Default Re: Urgent , Freespin of propeller?

ps. maybe im a little paranoid... lol fishing derby in 8 hours!

Did you fit the bearings on the pins ??------------------Give the end of propshaft a love tap with with a hammer ??

Yep and it switches through gears fine. It seemed to be fine until I tightened up the skeg bolts? Maybe not...

I will try tapping it a bit right now.

Just tapped it a bit, seemed to loosen up a bit... but not much.... Its at the point where I just put my hand right onto the propeller (flat palm one hand) and can turn it with my wrist. It makes no odd noises or anything though.

It should spin easily , very easily in nuetral, so I think something is wrong !--------History on this unit is ??

It was fine when I took it apart... Its better now after i drained the oil and loosened the skeg bolts? lol maybe ill give it a few more taps, wish i could post a video

I took it off

Racerone, what type of sealent do you use? I think I used to much gasket sealant and it binded it up (chunky). I took everything apart now...going to put it back together in 20-30 mins after cleaning

ps: I did use the seal from OMC aswell.

It sounds like you might be in error pertaining to answering the "Racerone' question about the centering pins.

The forward bearing has a slot/hole that must be aligned with a pin in the upper housing... and of course the rear bearing/seal housing assembly has a hole that a pin must also be aligned with. That forward bearing/sleeve is easy to misalign.
    Our questions require answers. If you refuse to answer our questions, how can we answer yours?

The problem was "gasket gunk"... Everything is fixed now thankfully!

Thanks guys for letting me know something was actually wrong... Was stressin' and just wanted to start it as is, but didnt.

That must have been one hellava lot of gasket gunk.
    Our questions require answers. If you refuse to answer our questions, how can we answer yours?

It was my fault.

I used way to much, especially since some got lodged in the housing where the shaft goes inside the bearing.

another question if someone could help me, the throttle doesn't want to go to full. Full is at about 3/4 right now. is the gearing wrong?

Thanks

Do you have it in forward gear is the throttle butterfly all the way open is the armature all the way advanced. You may need to sync the carb and the timing advance best to get a book and look up the specs, make sure the linkage moves free and the armature has no play in it up and down.

I ran it all weekend for the fishing derby. but it does not open all the way up. The butterfly does stop; I can press my finger on the rubber grommet and open up more RPM and go faster..

I'll have a closer look at it tomorrow as I was just happy she purred for 15-18 hours non stop trolling this whole weekend

Have you adjusted the sync yet. For your motor on the cam that opens the throttle is a mark on the cam and the follower roller. when the mark on the cam is lined up to the right side of the follower roller at that point the throttle butterfly should begin to open. to make that happen loosen the two bolts holding the cam on the armature plate, line the mark up to the right side of the follower and pull the cam out to where it starts to open the throttle. Lock the cam down and check it. It can be deceiving but if you tape a large paperclip on the throttle lever and advance the timing you can get it close to exact. The ignition timing is according to point gap it needs to be as close to .020 as possible and plug gap at .030. GL