Logo

Staring problem with 3GM30

Trisha Budd

My Yanmar 3GM30 is difficult to start. It turns over erratically and then I got it to go by turning it over and over and eventually it started, erratic at first asnd then it then ran well. I left it running, no problem. Over the next few hours it started instantly each time I tried, starting and running smoothly. Next day, back to square one. There is no smoke, batteries are charged. WD40 seemed to help but not much. Any suggestions?

Sounds typical of air in the fuel system this could be be cause by any number of things . I would start checking filter seals,hose joints and fittings inc all bleeding point seal washers.This problem usually pops up after filter changes. I assume fuel levels and supply valves are in running order.

Cheers, Shakey.

Trisha
Hopefully checking for a leak will show something. Even atiny weep will allow air in and that means that the engine has to expe air before the thing will fire up. I relaced all of the copper washers with Dowty seals. and then the fuel filter housing. Has the engine ever hydro locked ?

LOA

Back