Logo

1975 evinrude 9.9hp cold start problem

one-eye

I have a 1975 evinrude 9.9hp model 10524c. my problem is with the first start when motor is cold. set it to start pull full choke two to three pulls it starts, runs smooth but smokes alot. when i put it in gear it stalls out, 5 to 6 pulls to restart. once i get it going after a few min every thing is fine. it will run slow or flat out no problems,turn it off one pull to start the rest of the day,and no smoke. I have tried putting the choke at different settings on the cold start, but the same thing happens as soon as I move the throtle it stalls out. can any one help?

Try turning throttle handle to the shift interlock stop.-----------Ignore the " start " position on the handle !

at long last back to fishing. I want to thank kimcrwbr1, opening the choke all the way right after it starts took care of the smoke problem. the last two times out I had no problems with smoke or stalling.I think the stalling was because of rubber in the fuel tank. it seemes the cas cap had been slowly falling apart, I didn't notice untill the whole vent bulb fell in. I drained and cleaned the tank,and no more stalling. I don't know why it only stalled out at a cold start, but as long as it's running fine I'm happy. thanks for all the info.

Back