Logo

1960 40 HP Evinrude Lark II ?

firstshot425

I looking into buying a 1960 40HP Evinrude Lark II to put on my 14ft Vbottom aluminum boat. The motor is electric start with tiller control. It is in running condition and is being offered for $500. I haven't seen it yet so that's about all I know at this point, but am going to look at it tomorrow afternoon.

Can anyone povide some general information about this motor. Are they good, dependable motors? If it is in running concition, is it worth what's being asked? I'm a little concerned about buying a 1960 motor. Are there any know issues with these motors? Are parts available? When looking at this motor, is there anything specific I should be looking for / checking out before purchasing. Is the 40HP too big for a 14ft VBottom?

I would greatly appreciate any information you can provide.

Thanks
firstshot425

That's just about what the engine sold for back in 1960.... 52 years ago. Frankly, in my opinion, there is no way that engine's worth that kind of money. Look for something newer for the same price.

I've searched the internet and it looks like most of these that are in running condition are going for about $300-$400, some without controls. Havent found any that have electric start AND tiller control. Assuming it is running as he says, I'll definitely offer less than asking price.

So, are these good motors in general?

firstshot425

The term " good " means different thing to different people.-----------------These motors if in good condition / low hours / well maintained can be a delight to own.------------They are simple and easy to maintain and lots of used parts are available. Even the newer better 40 hp up to about 69 / 70 will fit right on.-----------So if you want to work on it yourself / take pride in it / show it off etc, it might be the perfect motor for you.If you have to rush out and get a shop to work on these , than just forget it !!---------Visit --------aomci---------website .-Lots of info and support there

racerone

I plan to work on it myself. Thanks for the link to Antique Outboard Motor Club. I'm sure it will come in handy.

Thanks
firstshot425

firstshot425, first off I am a newbie, but as coincidence has it my copy of 'Cheap Outboards: the beginners guide to making an old outboard run forever' arrived yesterday and I dug in. The author recommends staying away from OMC 1960 40HP and indicated that powerhead was completely redesigned in 1962 and suggests that 1962 and forward would be good (assuming not electric shift model, which he does not like either - whoops I got one of those!). He does like OMC late 50's to early 70's in general; recommends staying away from the old mercs too. Not sure if the experts like Joe and Racerone agree with the book, but thought I would throw it out there for what it is worth.

The term " electric shift " scares a lot of people.----As soon as electricity is involved most people get confused.----They do not know how it works or how to trouble shoot electricity !---------Electric shift on OMC outboards is actually very simple , reliable and well engineered.------------See many, many more posts on standard shift lower units jumping out of gear than electric shift units.

Hey Vandenburgh

LOL... I'm definitely a newbie too!!! What do they mean by "electric shift"?

Here are some of my other local options . . . Does anyone have any opinions, one way or the other, on these motors?
1984 Mercury 18XP - 18HP
1967 Mercury - 20HP
1981 Johnson - 35HP
1967 Mercury - 20 HP
1986 Mariner - 40 HP

Thanks
Firstshot425

Ignore "What do they mean by "electric shift" in my last post. Didn't see the post about elec shift before I submitted.

Last edited:
1981 ---35 HP another design by OMC that came out in 1976---------and was produced till the mid 90's ---Good rugged design and lots of parts available new and used.

If you are running an open aluminium fishing boat, a 35 40 hp motor is getting a little on the large size. I run a 16 ft Springbok, and I've had a 58 35 hp Evinrude on it, as well as a 77 20 hp Merc and an 84 18 hp Merc. In all honesty, although I fix and run old OMC motors, the 18 and 20 hp Mercs run the boat just as fast (26 -28 mph) as the 35 hp Evinrude. In your case, I'd go for the 18 Merc. The picture shows the 35 Evinrude, but I've since switched to the Mercury 20.

Attachments

• IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 205
I agree with kimcrwbri..even with just the 20 on it, I have to run a BIG starting battery (out of a semi truck, about 70 pounds) right up in the bow for ballast...even with that, on windy days the bow wants to come up, and I carefully run full throttle. And this is on a heavy 16 foot aluminium, with a wood floor. On a 14 foot lighter weight Springbok I used to have, the 20 almost tore the transom out. The 14 foot was rated for a 17.5 hp, the 16 foot is rated for a 35 hp. This pic shows the 20 Merc on the 16 foot, and you can see that this boat was built for a long shaft, and the previous owner cut the transom down for a short shaft. Oh, and I only weight about 140 pounds, so if you are a big guy, with a 35 or 40 on the transom of a 14 footer, you are gonna have troubles getting that boat up on plane!!

Attachments

• old pics 104.jpg
    old pics 104.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 269
Back